MD School list/chances: 3.87 cGPA, 506 (unbalanced/low CARS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitloops24

Reaction score
So long story short..I took my MCAT and received a lower than expected CARS score of 121. Even though I had been scoring a 126 on my last 2 practice exams :(

Overall: 506 of 130/121/126/129.

I am currently applying to MD programs as a KY resident, SES disadv. I have applied to my state MD schools and private MD schools for a total of 13 schools so far. Anymore suggestions for more out of state schools that would overlook this low CARS score?

I have relatively strong research experience.

Research

1900 hours of research total in 3 labs: 1 lab at my school, another lab at my school through a summer cancer research program, currently in 1 summer research program at an out of state medical school
-1 publication as a second-author in 2017
-2 presentations at national cancer meetings in DC and Chicago
-on 5 formal research projects
-plan to submit 1 more paper this fall
-interest in MD/PhD after matriculation

Clinical

-200 hours shadowing total: in emergency med, family med, surgical oncology, oncology/hematology
-volunteer at my school's emergency department for 150 hrs
-volunteer as a mentor to elementary school student
-volunteer at feeding america

I have many other experiences through my school's Honors program that I put on my AMCAS along with research honors

Schools I've applied to so far:

1 WVU
2 UK (state)
3 UofL (state)
4 Penn State
5 Rochester
6 Rosalind
7 MUSC
8 UofTenn
9 Indiana
10 VCU
11 Vermont
12 Rush
13 Meharry

Thoughts on Tufts, Drexel, NYMC, Albany, VTech?

I would appreciate any suggestions, and PM if you'd like.

Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

So long story short..I took my MCAT and received a lower than expected CARS score of 121. Even though I had been scoring a 126 on my last 2 practice exams :(

Overall: 506 of 130/121/126/129.

I am currently applying to MD programs as a KY resident, SES disadv. I have applied to my state MD schools and private MD schools for a total of 13 schools so far. Anymore suggestions for more out of state schools that would overlook this low CARS score?

I have relatively strong research experience.

Research

1900 hours of research total in 3 labs: 1 lab at my school, another lab at my school through a summer cancer research program, currently in 1 summer research program at an out of state medical school
-1 publication as a second-author in 2017
-2 presentations at national cancer meetings in DC and Chicago
-on 5 formal research projects
-plan to submit 1 more paper this fall
-interest in MD/PhD after matriculation

Clinical

-200 hours shadowing total: in emergency med, family med, surgical oncology, oncology/hematology
-volunteer at my school's emergency department for 150 hrs
-volunteer as a mentor to elementary school student
-volunteer at feeding america

I have many other experiences through my school's Honors program that I put on my AMCAS along with research honors

Schools I've applied to so far:

1 WVU
2 UK (state)
3 UofL (state)
4 Penn State
5 Rochester
6 Rosalind
7 MUSC
8 UofTenn
9 Indiana
10 VCU
11 Vermont
12 Rush
13 Meharry

Thoughts on Tufts, Drexel, NYMC, Albany, VTech?

I would appreciate any suggestions, and PM if you'd like.

Thanks !!
Chances for MD looks bleak. The 506 is not a deal breaker on its own for MD, but the 121 is a bombshell. DO is you best bet

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the honesty. What do you think of my chances for MD at my state schools?
Not an expert at all, but those would be your best shot. I'm sure @Goro has a few suggestions for some more OOS schools that may be an option. Keep in mind though, that you might be throwing your money away this cycle. For perspective, some schools think 125 is low!

Not an expert at all, but those would be your best shot. I'm sure @Goro has a few suggestions for some more OOS schools that may be an option. Keep in mind though, that you might be throwing your money away this cycle. For perspective, some schools think 125 is low!

I appreciate the heads up. I don't have time to really study and retake the mcat for this cycle, so I figured I'd give this cycle a shot. I have managed to receive secondaries from some schools that screen MCAT..for what that's worth.

I appreciate the heads up. I don't have time to really study and retake the mcat for this cycle, so I figured I'd give this cycle a shot. I have managed to receive secondaries from some schools that screen MCAT..for what that's worth.
Not sure if you mentioned this, but are you URM? If you are, that makes a difference

These are the only realistic schools from your list:
1 WVU
2 UK (state)
3 UofL (state)
4 Penn State
6 Rosalind
You could try these schools also:
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and include MU-COM, UP-KYCOM and WVSOM.

1 WVU
2 UK (state)
3 UofL (state)
4 Penn State
6 Rosalind
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Creighton
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
I'll add on some more of these schools. Haven't thought about applying DO since I was scoring higher on my practice tests..

1 WVU
2 UK (state)
3 UofL (state)
4 Penn State
6 Rosalind
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Creighton
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
I believe that another SDNer has reported that Gtown has a strict 125 cutoff for all MCAT subcategories. Best to check this out on your own, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha or @gyngyn . I know that you are very busy people, but anyone willing to read over my secondary essays (6 total, approx. 1500 characters/prompt) for one of my state schools and make comments ?

I have composed each response and would like to submit in the next few days. I certainly don't want to blow my shot at one of my state schools due to a lapse in essays.

Status
Not open for further replies.