This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theconfusedapplicant

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • State/Country of Residence: USA, New York
  • Ties to other States/Regions: None in particular. I guess ties to the Northeast region of the US.
  • Year in School: Graduated May 2020
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology Major
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.98
  • Science GPA: 3.98
  • MCAT Score(s): 516 (130/127/129/130)
  • Research Experience: Very little/none depending on how you look at it. This past semester I spent some time inputting/organizing field book data for crow research to help build/visualize a social network. 90 hours total spent.
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): N/A
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): Volunteered at a hospital in brooklyn for around 105 hours (450 projected by next July, which is what I put on my application).
  • Physician Shadowing: Around 95 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon during a school-related summer physician mentoring program. Around 10 hours shadowing an internal medicine physician.
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: Around 205 hours volunteering with under resourced kids every weekend for 3 semesters (year and a half) with a club/program at my school. Around 20 hours volunteering with kids in a chemistry-outreach program at various elementary schools and venues near my school.
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Tutored and TAd General and Organic Chemistry for around 460 hours total. Tutoring started my first semester in college, TAing started my Junior year in college. Did a lot of weightlifting (1000+ hours) as a hobby. I'm also a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Since I made a point to discuss it in my primary application (and will discuss it in my secondary application), I am a high school dropout.
  • Other Employment History: Worked various jobs after dropping out of high school. Ice cream server, pizza delivery driver, etc.
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): None.
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Pediatric orthopedics
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Yes, but unsure.
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Possibly
  • Medical School List:

Albert Einstein
    Boston University
    Case Western
    Columbia
    Hofstra/Northwell
    Emory
    Harvard
    Mount Sinai
    Indiana University
    UBuffalo
    NYU Grossman
    Northwestern
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Stony Brook
    UVermont
    Rutgers NJMS
    SUNY Downstate
    SUNY Upstate
    Tufts
    UCLA
    UCSF
    USC
    UColorado
    UMichigan
    University of Virginia
    Cornell

I know a lot of these schools are reach schools but as a FAP recipient, I will not end up having to pay too much to apply to them. I want to reduce this list of 27 schools to around 23-25, so if I can get any suggestions on which to remove or which schools I should really consider adding, please let me know. Any help at all would be appreciated, and thank you for your time.

Honestly, I suggest that you take a gap year. Your ECs do not merit the schools that your stats do.

Delete Rutgers, IU and Penn state in any case.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Thank you,

I'll take a look at a bunch of these and add them.

@Goro Sorry for the double-tag, but would you be able to build me a school list as well? Or would you just recommend as above deleting Rutgers, IU, and Penn state and keeping my list?

Also, would you be able to clarify if you think I should be taking 2 gap years? Cause I'm already taking one and I really wouldn't want to take another one. Thank you.
One gap year should be enough. But bulk up on clinical experience and service to others.

use list as suggested.