MD School list critique Please! (Hispanic, 4.0, 519)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccsg13579

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I believe I have finalized my school list and would love some critique.

GPA: 4.0 for cumulative and science.

MCAT: 519 (131/127/130/131).

Florida resident.

Hispanic, born in Venezuela.

B.S. in Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida (Taking a gap year).

Research: 1 year at a mechanical engineering lab, poster presentation at a nanotech conference. 3 years at a hypertension lab. Started off as a lab tech but I got hired after a few months as a research assistant and this was also my employment (Averaged 20 hrs/week during semesters of class during that time). During my gap year, I will be working full time with the same lab on my own project.

Pubs: One paper out now, another one about to submit but didn't put it on the application. The current one was published in Circulation Research (IF: 11). Also one abstract published.

Clinical Volunteering: 320 hours at the main hospital in seven or so different departments, 540 hours as an exercise tech intern at a physical therapy clinic (My major had this thing where instead of taking classes your last semester you could intern full-time at a clinic so it was for credit).

Non-Clinical Vol: 60 hours as a first responder for a unit on campus (90% of it was trainings, meetings, standby at events kind of stuff), 30 hours for the American Red Cross, 20 hours for community outreach program playing soccer with children of special needs.

Leadership: Lab coordinator and TA for first responders course for 2 years and some change.

Shadowing: 2 ortho surgeons, one sports med, and the other trauma/ joint surgeon. 60 hours total.

Awards: Presidential Service Award for community service hours, multiple dean's list/ president's honor roll.

LOR's: My PI who used to be a dean of UF's med school, 1 MD/PhD letter, 2 science profs, 1 non-science prof, 1 from a Physical Therapist, 1 from a cop, and 1 from a paramedic.

Interested in going into surgery residency, would preferably like to go to a school in a big city but willing to compromise a bit (suburban-ish). Looking for advice on school list and would love some info on what the cities themselves are like too!

School List:
  • Harvard (Boston, MA)
  • Stanford (Palo Alto, CA)
  • Hopkins (Baltimore, MD)
  • UC-San Francisco
  • U. Pennsylvania
  • Columbia University (New York City)
  • Washington Univ. St. Louis
  • UC- Los Angeles
  • New York Univ. (NYC)
  • Vanderbilt (Nashville)
  • U. Chicago
  • U. Pittsburgh
  • Northwestern (Evanston, IL)
  • Cornell (NYC)
  • Icahn (Mt. Sinai) (NYC)
  • Emory (Atlanta, GA)
  • Case Western (University Program or College Program) (Cleveland, OH)
  • UVA (Charlottesville, Virginia)
  • Boston University
  • U. Florida (Gainesville, FL)
  • U. Miami
  • U. South Florida (Tampa, FL)
Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, apply wherever and to however many schools you want as long as its a reasonable amount and the schools accept OOS students

Honestly, apply wherever and to however many schools you want as long as its a reasonable amount and the schools accept OOS students
Thanks! I wanted to stick to <20 but I ended up with 22 schools and I think I'll be ok for it financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Id add a few more undershoots JUST to be on the safe side of things.
Wayne State
Tufts
Tulane
Temple
Drexel
Quinnipac
Georgetown

Goodluck

Wayne State
Tufts
Tulane
Temple
Drexel
Quinnipac
Georgetown

Goodluck
Honestly, they are so far above the median for most of those schools it seems like a waste of money. Those are all low yield, low tier schools that I think would not be a good fit for OP unless they specifically wanted to go to one of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Wayne State
Tufts
Tulane
Temple
Drexel
Quinnipac
Georgetown

Goodluck
If OP's stats are above the 90th percentile, they are unlikely to get an interview unless there is a compelling reason to believe that they might attend.

If OP's stats are above the 90th percentile, they are unlikely to get an interview unless there is a compelling reason to believe that they might attend.
I stand corrected

Reactions: 1 user