School list critique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
White Michigan resident.
cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.66
MCAT: 520

Hospital volunteering: 210 hours (lots of patient interaction, stopped due to covid)
Shadowing: 52 hours with a PCP

Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours at soup kitchen (had to stop due to covid)

Research: 2000 hours, first-author pub, presented at university's Cell Bio conference

Employment: Lab assistant (media, glassware). Caregiver for mother

EC: Theater club on campus. As general board, I directed, produced and stage managed for a lot of shows. On elected board I was the conflict-resolution chair and I introduced new policies for the club.

Teaching: TAed one semester for intro bio lab

LORs: Good to neutral (1 neutral letter as a back-up). No MD LOR from physician I shadowed due to a medical crisis.

SCHOOL LIST (not necessarily looking to cutdown, just curious if it's too top-heavy, too out of my reach, useless to apply to a school, etc):
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Central Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Columbia*
Hofstra
Emory
Harvard*
Icahn
Michigan State
New York Medical College
New York University*
Oakland University
Ohio State
Stony Brook
Tulane
University of Chicago (Pritzker)*
University of Colorado
University of Michigan*
University of Wisconsin
Wayne State
Weill Cornell*
Western Michigan University
Yale*

* denotes super-reach, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

White Michigan resident.
cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.66
MCAT: 520

Hospital volunteering: 210 hours (lots of patient interaction, stopped due to covid)
Shadowing: 52 hours with a PCP

Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours at soup kitchen (had to stop due to covid)

Research: 2000 hours, first-author pub, presented at university's Cell Bio conference

Employment: Lab assistant (media, glassware). Caregiver for mother

EC: Theater club on campus. As general board, I directed, produced and stage managed for a lot of shows. On elected board I was the conflict-resolution chair and I introduced new policies for the club.

Teaching: TAed one semester for intro bio lab

LORs: Good to neutral (1 neutral letter as a back-up). No MD LOR from physician I shadowed due to a medical crisis.

SCHOOL LIST (not necessarily looking to cutdown, just curious if it's too top-heavy, too out of my reach, useless to apply to a school, etc):
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Central Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Columbia*
Hofstra
Emory
Harvard*
Icahn
Michigan State
New York Medical College
New York University*
Oakland University
Ohio State
Stony Brook
Tulane
University of Chicago (Pritzker)*
University of Colorado
University of Michigan*
University of Wisconsin
Wayne State
Weill Cornell*
Western Michigan University
Yale*

* denotes super-reach, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take I guess.

Delete Stony Brook, U WI, and replace with U VM, EVMS, or U VA

Suggest adding Jefferson, SLU, GWU, Gtown, Creighton, BU, Tufts, Loyola, Tulane, Wake, Miami, Seton Hall, NovaMD, TCU/UNT

Also, Invest in MSAR ONline and remove those schools from your list where you are < their 10th %ile for their GPAs. Keep all MI schools, though. Chances best there.

denotes super-reach, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take I guess.
Applying to medical school isn't basketball or playing the lotto. Med schools don't need the donations from secondaries...take you dad out for Father's Day (when MI opens up)

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro quick question.. how does an SMP GPA factor in on MSAR? For example, if I have ~3.4 undergrad cGPA (~3.2 sGPA) with a ~3.6 SMP GPA, which GPA do I use to form a school list? I have a 516 MCAT and solid extracurriculars.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro quick question.. how does an SMP GPA factor in on MSAR? For example, if I have ~3.4 undergrad cGPA (~3.2 sGPA) with a ~3.6 SMP GPA, which GPA do I use to form a school list? I have a 516 MCAT and solid extracurriculars.
It doesn't. The only clue MSAR can give you is from how many matriculants have post-bac work or graduate degrees.

I give my list from input from successful SDNers.

It doesn't. The only clue MSAR can give you is from how many matriculants have post-bac work or graduate degrees.

I give my list from input from successful SDNers.

I didn't clarify my question very well.. what GPA should I be using to compare to the GPAs shown on MSAR to put together a school list? My undergrad cGPA may be <10th percentile at a school, but if my graduate GPA is within their range is it worth applying?

I didn't clarify my question very well.. what GPA should I be using to compare to the GPAs shown on MSAR to put together a school list? My undergrad cGPA may be <10th percentile at a school, but if my graduate GPA is within their range is it worth applying?
The MSAR reports undergrad GPA's only. I don't have access to know if it posts any information about graduate GPA which is an independent calculation. The best way to know that is to ask your SMP director based on history of matriculated participants.

Reactions: 1 user