Feb 21, 2016
Hello,

I realize my list is very top-heavy, and I was advised to replace state schools with more reasonable schools. I chose those state schools based on location (I like cold places). But I think I'd count as a CA resident. I wonder if anyone can advise me on which schools to apply to?

My info
:
- nontrad (turning 29 y/o soon)
- 3.75 undergrad GPA (3.77 non-science grad GPA)
- 3.9x sGPA (all taken as a postbac)
- MCAT: 517
- Since I'm applying later in life, I think that I've had lots of international/foreign culture experiences and other life experiences that may differentiate me, but who knows - everyone has a really interesting background anyway!
- from CA but looking to go to school in cold places - for whatever reason, this is really important to me. I would prefer not to live in LA (grew up there), but I could do San Francisco/Bay Area (I would not prefer UC Davis, though)
- currently live in MA, went to undergrad in MA

My long-term goals (might not be relevant because I'm so far from residency):
I am interested in emergency med with a specialty in wilderness or aerospace/space medicine. I plan on being a military physician for a while, and I'd also like to work within space exploration (NASA, private companies). I also want to work in remote locations (polar regions/Antarctica, Alaska, rural areas, MSF-type orgs).

Please let me know if I can add other info about my application.

Thinking of adding Einstein, Pitt, Northwestern, NYU, Sinai, Jefferson?

This is getting quite pricy, but I guess I just have to suck it up!

The list:
BU
Columbia
Duke
Dartmouth
Georgetown
HMS
JHU
Mayo
U Penn
Stanford
U VM
Tufts
USUHS
UCSF
U Chicago
U Colorado
U Michigan
U Minnesota
U NC
U VA
U Washington
U Wisconsin
Brown
WashU
Cornell
Yale

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You have many state public schools on your list that strongly favor their own residents. You can apply to them if you do not mind spending the money. Many of the private schools on your list are very competitive. Add Mount Sinai, Pitt, Einstein and Jefferson.