MD School List Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDs'ilvousplait

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Canadian applicant and I have gone through the MSAR to look at schools that I can apply to.
My MCAT is 515, Biology - 130, Psychology - 129, Cars and Chem/physics - 128.
My GPA is 3.95 and my science GPA is 3.93.

Extracurriculars include:

Campus EMT for 4 years (including application year), with demonstrated progression through rank and leadership. Also, sit on executive board for the team (2 years).

Research for 4.5 years in Cancer lab. National level grants and research competition presentations and awards.

Work with a cross border organization to connect researchers and physicians in different feilds to do cancer research. Also has heavy focus on public outreach and education. Am on their conference committee, designed and made their volunteer information package and act as a lead volunteer coordinating events

Organize Science academy that brings local highschool students in for a week to expose them to different science disciplines

Presented at two teaching and learning conferences with 2 published abstracts

TA'd first year cell biology twice, involved in course redesign to increase student engagement and designing a teaching cancer lab

Referee, Timekeep and coach girls youth hockey

coached girls U8 soccer

Here are my lists of schools based on the MSAR and who accepts international students:

Fit:
UCLA - David Geffan
North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Univ of Pittsburgh
Mayo
Vanderbuilt
Geisel - Dartmouth
Northwestern
Duke
Univ of Virginia
Boston University
Emory
Icahn School
Warren Alpert - Brown University
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
Sidney Kimmel - Thomas Jefferson U
George Washington

Reach:
Harvard
John Hopkins
Pereleman - Upenn
Stanford
University of Chicago - Pritzker
Washington U - St. Louis
Weill Cornell
Columbia University
Yale

Saftey:
Univ of Utah
Medical College of Wisconsin
U of Kentucky

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing to do is invest in MSAR Online and apply to schools that accepted more than a handful of internationals.
I did that. These are from the list (tbh I looked at if they interviewed a bunch b/c there were none that accepted more than 10 in year).
Do these schools seem reasonable with my stats

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already applied to all these?
You really need to check the acceptance tab before you give a donation to many of these schools.
Off the top of my head, U of Chicago matriculated no internationals. MCW only interviewed three and matriculated 1. That's hardly a "safety."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Have you already applied to all these?
You really need to check the acceptance tab before you give a donation to many of these schools.
Off the top of my head, MCW only matriculated 1 international last year. That's hardly a "safety."
No, I haven't sent in my application yet.
I realize that they don't accept too many international students. However, literally every school on MSAR is like that.
If I cut out schools for that reason I can't apply anywhere.

Unless there are magically more schools that are hidden that accept more than 2 international students a year, this is what I have to work with.

My question, like I said before, is are my MCAT and GPA ranges in addition to my extracurriculars in line with what im shooting for. Am I being too optimistic?

No, I haven't sent in my application yet.
I realize that they don't accept too many international students. However, literally every school on MSAR is like that.
If I cut out schools for that reason I can't apply anywhere.

Unless there are magically more schools that are hidden that accept more than 2 international students a year, this is what I have to work with.

My question, like I said before, is are my MCAT and GPA ranges in addition to my extracurriculars in line with what im shooting for. Am I being too optimistic?
Zero is a lot less than "not too many." There are better choices for internationals. My best advice is to identify the schools with a median MCAT of 33-34 who matriculated at least 3 internationals. Less than that indicates that they were probably internal candidates.

Reactions: 1 user
Zero is a lot less than "not too many." There are better choices for internationals. My best advice is to identify the schools with a median MCAT of 33-34 who matriculated at least 3 internationals. Less than that indicates that they were probably internal candidates.
There aren't any on that list that accepted no international students.

So, hypothetically if I were an American student, does anyone have any input on my stats and what i considered fit vs. reach?

These schools on your list seem reasonable to apply to:
UCLA - David Geffen
Univ of Pittsburgh
Geisel - Dartmouth
Northwestern
Univ of Virginia
Boston University
Emory
Icahn School
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
Sidney Kimmel - Thomas Jefferson U
George Washington
U Kentucky
However, these schools accept quite a few international students:
Loyola (15)
Oakland Beaumont (13)
St. Louis (15)
Wayne State (22)
New York Medical College (6)
Loma Linda (17)
The Michigan schools probably accept mainly Canadians.