School list feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

ngpremed

I'm making a potential school list for the upcoming cycle. Looking for any help or suggestions to improve my list.

Stats:
3.8 GPA, 519 MCAT, bio major
Ethnicity/gender: white male
State of residency: Michigan
~170 clinical volunteering hours
~50 nonclinical hours (I think I said 70 in another thread, but I must have remembered incorrectly)
~40 shadowing hours
1000+ ROTC hours, multiple significant leadership roles
Club officer for extracurricular clubs (100+ hours)
Commissioning as an Army National Guard officer at the end of this semester. 500-1000 projected hours before matriculation (drill, annual training, BOLC)

Penn
Pitt
NYU
JHU
WashU
St. Louis
Duke
Indiana
UVA
Ohio State
Case Western
Georgetown
Miami
All Michigan schools

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive many interviews. Your lack of research may limit you at certain schools.

Are there schools on my list you'd recommend removing because of my lack of research?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're golden. Suggest swapping out Gtown and SLU for some higher class schools, like Mayo, Emory, Northwester, U Chicago, Dartmouth, the Manhattan Titans, Einstein, Hofstra and Keck. Also consider Uniformed Services U/Hebert.

I'm making a potential school list for the upcoming cycle. Looking for any help or suggestions to improve my list.

Stats:
3.8 GPA, 519 MCAT, bio major
Ethnicity/gender: white male
State of residency: Michigan
~170 clinical volunteering hours
~50 nonclinical hours (I think I said 70 in another thread, but I must have remembered incorrectly)
~40 shadowing hours
1000+ ROTC hours, multiple significant leadership roles
Club officer for extracurricular clubs (100+ hours)
Commissioning as an Army National Guard officer at the end of this semester. 500-1000 projected hours before matriculation (drill, annual training, BOLC)

Penn
Pitt
NYU
JHU
WashU
St. Louis
Duke
Indiana
UVA
Ohio State
Case Western
Georgetown
Miami
All Michigan schools

You're golden. Suggest swapping out Gtown and SLU for some higher class schools, like Mayo, Emory, Northwester, U Chicago, Dartmouth, the Manhattan Titans, Einstein, Hofstra and Keck. Also consider Uniformed Services U/Hebert.

Thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at those. Right now I'm thinking of applying to 20-25 schools. Do you think that's a good number, or should I apply to more/less?

Also looking at the AAMC state residency table, at what percent of OOS acceptances would you say it is worth applying for a school?

Thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at those. Right now I'm thinking of applying to 20-25 schools. Do you think that's a good number, or should I apply to more/less?

Also looking at the AAMC state residency table, at what percent of OOS acceptances would you say it is worth applying for a school?
I think 25 is a good number.

My rule of thumb is if >10-20% of the matriculants are from OOS, it might be worth applying. But be > avg.