Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

School List for 2010...Advice Please!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by caveat87, Dec 17, 2008.

1. caveat87

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just made an Mdapps page and any comments on my school list would be much appreciated. I planned on applying to 15-17 schools, so if you have any additions please tell which schools I should think about dropping. Thanks!!!:)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=16546

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. classdodger

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you have a good list but id consider looking into philly(jeff, DUCOM, temple) and DC(Gtown, GW). also i would reconsider wake forest and UNC, both prefer students with ties to the south. best of luck in 2010

4. caveat87

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So Wake Forrest accepts primarilly students from the south?

5. classdodger

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thats what my advisor in college told me. im sure they will consider people without ties to the south, but id imagine that pool would be more competitive due to fewer slot than if you are from the south.

6. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i disagree if you want wake, leave it, your stats are pretty good, good enough to be considered. i don't know much about unc.

you gpa is good but you mcat is slightly low for how top-heavy your list is. i would add a couple from rosalind franklin, VCU, NYMC, SLU, MCW, drexel, temple, jeff, loyola.

good luck, you will do well, nice app :)

7. caveat87

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for your suggestion...I was thinking of dropping UNC and Harvard in order to balance my school list a tiny bit. Any other good recommendations for slightly less competitive domestic schools?

8. 229141

Pre-Medical

In my honest opinion maybe add a few more safety schools since your MCAT is below average for a lot of those select schools. Great app though it's very similar to mine accept I have yet to take the Mcat!!! :|

You have a good chance to get into at least a few of those schools though

9. 229141

Pre-Medical
    Medical College of Wisconsin, Colorado, Univ Wisconsin? Not sure but there are a handful of good state schools that would take you...especially if you have any sort of ties to the state.

10. enjoydrywax

5+ Year Member

Brother you are a shoe-in for Dartmouth--they love cross country skiing over there and I actually spent a good part of one of my interviews conversing about the difference between snowboarding and surfing. Haha my interviewer told me on some days he even skis to work.

11. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was also a biology major at UConn...until I had to transfer. I bet we had like every class together. WEIRD.

12. caveat87

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well I don't know about being a shoe-in as an applicant, but it would be nice to talk about something as totally awesome as skiing during the interview :D. There is just something majestical about rythmically gliding over snow on a beautiful New England day.

Revived, you did bio at Uconn? Its a shame you couldn't stay because some of the upper level courses like immunology and dev. biology were really intriguing. The basketball games are also a plus :thumbup:

13. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yea it was sad to go but they cut my financial aid so I couldn't afford it. I'm at UF now so we have great basketball and football games. :)

14. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm gonna say "Go UF".

I don't know if it's true about WF having 'ties to the south' but I will tell you, they're a little strange about how they do their invitations. You kind of have to call them periodically if you want to find out where you stand with them. It's weird.

Good luck, OP.

15. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As an OOS applicant, you have a better shot at Harvard than at UNC...