School List for Canadian Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful2021

Psyched
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Canadian here trying this process for the second time. I was chronically late in submitting my application last time (I was not aware of how important it is to submit early) and I ended up applying to only a few schools. I am hoping to be early this time and considering both MD and DO. Using MSAR I have narrowed down my school list to the following. I would appreciate any inputs about my list and if you see any school that is for sure a waste of money. Below are my stats:

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.61
MCAT: 510 (128/127/127/128) (I also took the old MCAT two times with not very impressive scores, but this was prior to August 2015)

School List:

1. Central Michigan
2. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
3. George Washington
4. Georgetown
5. Medical College of Wisconsin
6. Michigan State
7. New York Medical College
8. Oakland University William Beaumont
9. Sidney Kimmel
10. SUNY Upstate
11. Tulane
12. University of California
13. Virginia Commonwealth
14. Wayne State

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Canadian here trying this process for the second time. I was chronically late in submitting my application last time (I was not aware of how important it is to submit early) and I ended up applying to only a few schools. I am hoping to be early this time and considering both MD and DO. Using MSAR I have narrowed down my school list to the following. I would appreciate any inputs about my list and if you see any school that is for sure a waste of money. Below are my stats:

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.61
MCAT: 510 (128/127/127/128) (I also took the old MCAT two times with not very impressive scores, but this was prior to August 2015)
Where did you apply last time? Did you interview?
Since all MCAT scores get looked at, what were your previous scores?
How are your EC's?

School List:

1. Central Michigan <- looking for people that want to practice in (re: have ties to) central and northern michigan
3. George Washington <- low yield
4. Georgetown <- low yield
6. Michigan State <- MD and DO? Their DO program has a Canadian initiative. Strongly recommend you apply.
9. Sidney Kimmel
10. SUNY Upstate
11. Tulane
12. University of California <-[edit]missed this one. low yield for you.
14. Wayne State

Where is your DO schools list?

I think you need a list longer than 14 to have a chance because you are Canadian, have (slightly below for international) average GPA, multiple mcats (that are average-510, to below average-previous scores).

Which one? There are 6. UCD, UCSF, UCLA, UCR, UCI, and UCSD.

UCLA!! But I am not sure if it's worth it since only 2 internationals matriculated last cycle and given my average stats, may not be ideal.

Have you considered DO?
There are about a dozen that consider internationals.

The mean MCAT for successful internationals to MD is 515. Mean GPA is 3.77...
Multiple MCAT scores are considered differently here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you apply last time? Did you interview?
Since all MCAT scores get looked at, what were your previous scores?
How are your EC's?

School List:

1. Central Michigan <- looking for people that want to practice in (re: have ties to) central and northern michigan
3. George Washington <- low yield
4. Georgetown <- low yield
6. Michigan State <- MD and DO? Their DO program has a Canadian initiative. Strongly recommend you apply.
9. Sidney Kimmel
10. SUNY Upstate
11. Tulane
12. University of California <-[edit]missed this one. low yield for you.
14. Wayne State

Where is your DO schools list?

I think you need a list longer than 14 to have a chance because you are Canadian, have (slightly below for international) average GPA, multiple mcats (that are average-510, to below average-previous scores).

Last time I applied to 1, 2, 3, 7, and 13. No interviews. But I applied in October so it was horrible. EC's include emergency volunteer, MD shadowing, TA for two courses for 3 years, a bunch of jobs in retail, 3 research projects (one in community healthcare, one in an EEG lab, and one with blind people in a neuroscience lab), and a bunch of other community work.

I am currently working on my DO list and trying to find a DO to shadow to get a letter of recommendation. The reason I am only considering 14 is because my stats are way below average for the rest of the ones that accept internationals and I feel like those are for sure low yield. Thank you so much for the thorough response.

Have you considered DO?
There are about a dozen that consider internationals.

The mean MCAT for successful internationals to MD is 515. Mean GPA is 3.77...
Multiple MCAT scores are considered differently here.

Yes, I am definitely considering DO as well since I might have better chances there. Do you think I should just focus on DO right now given the stats? Applications are so expensive :(