School List for Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyio

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in a unique position. I am competitive for Canadian schools, but I'm open to studying in the US. However, if I do take this route, I prefer at least a mid-tier school because the cost difference does not justify the risk of not matching into a competitive specialty. If I don't get in, I'll reapply to Canadian schools the next year. I have compiled a list and wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks!

Stats: Mcat 514, sGPA 3.95, cGPA 3.99.

Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Duke University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When a school matriculates only one or two internationals (e.g. Maryland, Mayo...), the odds are high that they are inside candidates.
If a school matriculates none (e.g. CO), your odds are vanishingly small.
If you are looking to refine the list, eliminate those schools first.

If your MCAT is below the 10th percentile (e.g. Columbia), your odds as an international are also quite low.

Thanks gyngyn! I'm new to the American application process, so what would be the ideal number of schools? Do you think that these schools are reasonable? For some of them, I'm below the MCAT median but above the GPA median.

Also, the 10th percentile for Columbia is 513...but my score might be too low for an international.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks gyngyn! I'm new to the American application process, so what would be the ideal number of schools? Do you think that these schools are reasonable? For some of them, I'm below the MCAT median but above the GPA median.
The MCAT is going to be even more important as an international than the gpa, I'm afraid.
Buy the MSAR.
Identify the 71 schools that consider Canadians.
Eliminate the schools that matriculated less than 3 internationals.
Apply to the remaining schools where your MCAT is at or above the median.

Is that your only MCAT?

Yes, it is my only MCAT. I already bought the MSAR, and these were the mid-tier schools that I was interested in. If I only applied to schools for which my MCAT is at or above the median, I don't think that I would apply to the US. I could, however, retake the MCAT. I have time before the start of the next cycle.

Yes, it is my only MCAT. I already bought the MSAR, and these were the mid-tier schools that I was interested in. If I only applied to schools for which my MCAT is at or above the median, I don't think that I would apply to the US. I could, however, retake the MCAT. I have time before the start of the next cycle.
Retaking a good score is not likely to help.
514 is a fine score.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove Colorado, brown, tufts and Maryland. Add Chicago, Stanford, Yale, and George Washington.

Reactions: 1 user