MD School list for nontrad- 3.44 GPA, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Porpoiseman12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

It's my first time applying to medical school, just looking to hear some other's thoughts on my chances/school list.

1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.44/3.69. Degree is in Management (4.0 the last 2 years in a DIY postbacc)

2. MCAT Score: 519

3. State of residence: MN

4. ORM

5. Undergraduate institution: No name state school, not scoring me any points

6. Clinical Experience: 2100 hours as a Nursing Assistant at a hospital (paid)

7. Research Experience: None

8. Shadowing/Specialties represented: 20 hours hospitalist, 20 hours orthopedic surgeons, several more scheduled for this summer in many specialties FWIW

9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~300 hours at camps for kids and adults with medical conditions/disabilities, as well as ~100 hours through my fraternity in college doing a lot of random things, Salvation Army, etc

10. Other ECs: Tutoring biology and chemistry, also worked at one of those camps for kids with medical conditions for 3 summers. Was president and VP of my fraternity for a year each

11. Some scholarships I dont remember at the moment, Greek Man of the Year from my school, fraternity awards like brother of the year, excellence in office, etc

12. Anything else? I have a degree in business, have shadowed both OTs and PAs previously before realizing I wanted to be a physician.

Current school list: (want to remove/refine to 25 MD schools). Should I add DO schools?

U of MN (TC and Duluth)
Kaiser
Keck
Gtown
GWU
U Miami
Emory
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Tufts
BU
Wayne
Mayo - MN (reach I know, but I'm keeping it)
Creighton
NYMC
Albany
Wake Forest
Ohio State
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Vermont
EVMS
MCOW
Wright
Toledo
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Netter
Indiana
Morsani

What should I add/remove? Too many low yields? Not enough reaches? Should I apply DO? What do you guys think? @Goro @gyngyn @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
Seton Hall
Penn State
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
Seton Hall
Penn State
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Thanks! Any in particular that you would remove? Trying to keep my list to around 25 for financial reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)