School list for someone with < 3.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GHETTOFLOW21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm trying to compile my schools list to apply within the next couple of weeks, and have a GPA below 3.0 (2.99c/2.86s) I know that I am an underdog but I want to apply as broadly as possible without wasting my money. After looking at the CIB I know there are a few schools that have hard cutoffs like DMU, KCUMB, and VCOM. However, others like OSU, OU, NSU, RVU, and UMDNJ have "recommended" minimums. My question is to the people that have applied with a lower than 3.0 GPA: which ones automatically screen your primary for a <3.0 from personal experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I'm trying to compile my schools list to apply within the next couple of weeks, and have a GPA below 3.0 (2.99c/2.86s) I know that I am an underdog but I want to apply as broadly as possible without wasting my money. After looking at the CIB I know there are a few schools that have hard cutoffs like DMU, KCUMB, and VCOM. However, others like OSU, OU, NSU, RVU, and UMDNJ have "recommended" minimums. My question is to the people that have applied with a lower than 3.0 GPA: which ones automatically screen your primary for a <3.0 from personal experience?

MCAT and EC's, please :D

Apply everywhere without a cutoff. Lower stats = need to apply more broadly.

Don't bother with OU unless you live in OU or are ok with signing a form that requires you to work in Ohio for 5 years. Also, UMDNJ has a pretty strong regional bias so don't apply there either (unless you're from the area).

What are your ECs? MCAT score? Trend in GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Night Hawk mentioned, you'll need some stellar EC's, and a good MCAT score. A GPA below 3.0 might get you by if you went to a really good UG, but you have to make up for it in everything else on the application.

I believe Touro-NV and Touro-NY screen for < 3.0 Sgpa

I am in the underdog thread. I have a 31Q MCAT and went to UC Davis. I have an upward trend since my first two years were closer to a 2.2 and I have average extra curriculars. I do plan on applying everywhere but do not want to waste my money on places that have a hard cutoff. I'm trying to gauge schools in the CIB that say "strongly recommend minimum 3.0" and what they exactly mean. Any input from people that have applied previously with similar GPA, I know that I have a long road ahead of me and want to maximize my chances

I am in the underdog thread. I have a 31Q MCAT and went to UC Davis. I have an upward trend since my first two years were closer to a 2.2 and I have average extra curriculars. I do plan on applying everywhere but do not want to waste my money on places that have a hard cutoff. I'm trying to gauge schools in the CIB that say "strongly recommend minimum 3.0" and what they exactly mean. Any input from people that have applied previously with similar GPA, I know that I have a long road ahead of me and want to maximize my chances

CCOM and AZCOM have 2.75 cutoffs...so you can apply there. Although, they do have average GPA's >3.5 and MCAT of ~28. Your MCAT is solid, but it's not outstanding enough to overcome your low GPA. Average EC's will also be a bit of a downfall. If you apply early (as in, you should already have your application verified) you might have some luck.

I see you sent to UCD, but what state are you a resident of?

Get your AACOMAS submitted as soon as possible. It might be best for you to submit it now with a handful of schools you know you want to go to, then spend time researching others and update AACOMAS later.

CCOM and AZCOM have 2.75 cutoffs...so you can apply there. Although, they do have average GPA's >3.5 and MCAT of ~28. Your MCAT is solid, but it's not outstanding enough to overcome your low GPA. Average EC's will also be a bit of a downfall. If you apply early (as in, you should already have your application verified) you might have some luck.

I see you sent to UCD, but what state are you a resident of?

I'm a California resident.

Also, I am hopefully going to get my app in within this week, I am just finishing up my personal statement and wanted to come up with a solid list while I wait for some final feedback, as I want to send them all out at once. I will probably err on the side of caution and apply to all of the ones that are not regionally biased and hope for secondaries.

I will be PMing you my thoughts tomorrow, so check your inbox.

What is your GPA? It may be better to retake classes and apply with better assurance than tossing money away.

I am going to be brutally honest. There is no way EVEN with amazing EC's unless you score 35+ on your Mcat.

If you do get a 30+. Your best bet is to do a smp(expensive) or just take undergrad courses to bring your gpa close to 3.0 then apply.

I am going to be brutally honest. There is no way EVEN with amazing EC's unless you score 35+ on your Mcat.

If you do get a 30+. Your best bet is to do a smp(expensive) or just take undergrad courses to bring your gpa close to 3.0 then apply.

Terrible advice. DO schools are not completely out of reach with a barely sub-3.0 GPA. Also, SMP for DO is a waste of money. Just retake classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your GPA? It may be better to retake classes and apply with better assurance than tossing money away.

I am currently taking two classes and my GPA is in my first post, 2.99c/2.86s

I got a 31Q

Wrong. There are plenty of people that will get admitted with <3.0; hell, there are people that get MD spots with less than a 3.0, albeit a rarity. An SMP would not be very wise considering their expense--plus, repeating undergrad would likely have just as good (if not better) influence.

Terrible advice. DO schools are not completely out of reach with a barely sub-3.0 GPA. Also, SMP for DO is a waste of money. Just retake classes.

Agree with all of this.

I am currently taking two classes and my GPA is in my first post, 2.99c/2.86s

Well, CA residence doesn't help you at all...just too many people applying to the schools in your state to make a below-average application look very appealing. However, there might be something about your file that sticks out and really gets someone's attention. It's a roll of the dice.

Also, what classes are you retaking? Any of the pre-med curriculum? have you calculated what your grades would be if you ace your retakes? What's the rundown of your pre-med grades? Major? EC's?

I agree only the latter part.
I have never heard anyone gotten in with sub 3.0, only if you have a significant upward trend, i suppose.

31 is a nice score. Retaking classes will be the best if OP has eyes only on DO schools.

MedPR your opinions don't count since you are URM within URM. Ha ha. (nothing srs of course)
I have met ppl with 3.2 gpa/25 mcat gotten into state md schools with URM. : ]

Last edited:

Hah...I know some white folk that have gotten into some state schools with those averages. There are plenty of outliers each cycle.

I have never heard anyone gotten in with sub 3.0, only if you have a significant upward trend, i suppose.

31 is a nice score. Retaking classes will be the best if OP has eyes only on DO schools.

MedPR your opinions don't count since you are URM within URM. Ha ha. (nothing srs of course)

I'm pretty sure there were a handful of <3.0 in the UD thread from last year. It's definitely unlikely, but not impossible.

Edit:

bhavik: 3.10, 2.99, 32 (Canadian Applicant) ACCEPTED: MSU-COM
Phi Psi: 3.02, 2.88, 28 (6 VR) ACCEPTED: Touro-NV
DrWily: 3.14, 2.97, 33 Interview: LECOM-E, AZCOM, NSU-COM, ATSU-KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, LMU-DCOM ACCEPTED: AZCOM
timaq: 3.05, 2.98, 27 Interview: LECOM-E, WCU-COM ACCEPTED: LECOM-E, WCU-COM
Phoebe87: 2.95, 2.5, 22 (Grad GPA's: 3.75) Interview: UMNDJ, PCOM-PA ACCEPTED: UMNDJ, PCOM-PA
bowjangles: 3.11, 2.93, 25 Interview: LECOM-SH, PNWU-COM ACCEPTED: LECOM-SH, PNWU-COM
Rxbound: 3.20, 2.70, 26 Interview: PCOM-GA ACCEPTED: PCOM-GA
Kliffmeister: 2.90, 3.30, 26. 31 on retake. Interview: Touro-NY ACCEPTED: Touro-NY

Granted, many of them had only one sub 3.0 GPA.

As Goro said, D.O. schools are a lot more forgiving for someone who has a high stat in one category and a low one in another than MD schools.

Having a ~3.0 GPA puts you 5 LizzyM points below the average of most DO schools. Your MCAT is about 5 lizzym points above the average.

However, I don't think it's as easy as "balancing out" but that's more for an Adcom to weigh in on.

Definitely apply, and in the mean time I would suggest you retake some C's, D's, or F's this fall semester to have ready to update schools with an improved GPA. Schools like to see that you're making the effort to improve.

I am of the opinion to retake a fair number of classes and not apply until your GPA is at least above 3.0. You will have much greater chances for success and less likely to be a reapplicant. Unless you're 35+ I don't see why you need to rush your application

I have a 2.87 cGPA, but an average sGPA of 3.4. From the research I've done on websites for the schools, from the CIB, and speaking to a few admissions offices this is the school list I have compiled, ruling out any I just don't want to attend. That said, I don't know for sure on some of these if they rule out based on overall GPA, sGPA or what, but these schools seem to have the most lax GPA screening factors.

ATSU (AZ)
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM (ALL)
LMU
NYCOM
PNWU
PCOM (BOTH)
UMDNJ
WVSOM
Western

I hope this helps some.

I have a 2.87 cGPA, but an average sGPA of 3.4. From the research I've done on websites for the schools, from the CIB, and speaking to a few admissions offices this is the school list I have compiled, ruling out any I just don't want to attend. That said, I don't know for sure on some of these if they rule out based on overall GPA, sGPA or what, but these schools seem to have the most lax GPA screening factors.

ATSU (AZ)
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM (ALL)
LMU
NYCOM
PNWU
PCOM (BOTH)
UMDNJ
WVSOM
Western

I hope this helps some.

CCOM, PCOM, and maybe a couple others shouldn't be on this list... They might not come out and say on their websites that they have a high cut off, but they will screen after secondaries.

One of my best friends is starting MD this August with a 2.87and 34MCAT, he though is incredibly smart (i.e excelled at the interviews according to feedback given to him), had great LORs and 3 or 4 first author pubs (first tier journals). Not URM, caucasian. I realize this is exception and not the rule., but he have 3 or 4 interviews all MD, including Pritzker, so it's possible I think even without URM status.

I love all the magic thinking that's going on here.

I know a guy who won the lottery. I know a guy who went to prison. I know a guy who was struck by lightning. I know a guy with a 2.8GPA who went to med school.

Get the picture? Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's likely.

So, OP, get that GPA >3 and you move into the realm of "likely".

One of my best friends is starting MD this August with a 2.87and 34MCAT, he though is incredibly smart (i.e excelled at the interviews according to feedback given to him), had great LORs and 3 or 4 first author pubs (first tier journals). Not URM, caucasian. I realize this is exception and not the rule., but he have 3 or 4 interviews all MD, including Pritzker, so it's possible I think even without URM status.

I had similar stats. I feel for ya.

This was my experience:
In the 2010-2011 application cycle I applied to 10 MD and 10 DO schools -> crickets.
Then, I worked like a mad woman to do extra DO shadowing, in addition to getting A's in a series of public health courses, volunteering and working full time.
In 2011-2012, I applied to 6 DO schools -> 3 interviews-> 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist.

This is my advice:
Multiple sincere DO letters of support.
Take responsibility for your GPA and show proof of an upward trend.
Do not retake the MCAT, use that time to do something positive about your GPA or ECs.
Apply to the newer schools

It might take a few years, but if you are dedicated, it is possible.

I know a guy who won the lottery. I know a guy who went to prison. I know a guy who was struck by lightning. I know a guy with a 2.8GPA who went to med school.

So, like I said, it's NOT the rule. This is an exception (with much better odds than winning the lottery BTW). I stated that fact just to address to an OP's statement that it was impossible to get in with such stats.
Now, from a practical point of view, yeah, better get that GPA higher.

So, like I said, it's NOT the rule. This is an exception (with much better odds than winning the lottery BTW). I stated that fact just to address to an OP's statement that it was impossible to get in with such stats.
Now, from a practical point of view, yeah, better get that GPA higher.

Your comment lacked the proper perspective that GOROs comment expressed.

Having been rejected due to lower GPA, your type of comment is very well intentioned, but can be actually misleading...its good to share exceptional stories, but there is a time and place for each story and I think that those kind are better shared in threads like the Underdog, etc.

Your comment lacked the proper perspective that GOROs comment expressed.

Having been rejected due to lower GPA, your type of comment is very well intentioned, but can be actually misleading...its good to share exceptional stories, but there is a time and place for each story and I think that those kind are better shared in threads like the Underdog, etc.

I guess I just didn't like GORO's "I love all the magic thinking that's going on here" comment. Since many adcom's consider more than just numbers, and I wanted to account for that other side of the equation.
Having said this, your are correct in stating what you did. Point well taken.

I guess I just didn't like GORO's "I love all the magic thinking that's going on here" comment. Since many adcom's consider more than just numbers, and I wanted to account for that other side of the equation.
Having said this, your are correct in stating what you did. Point well taken.

*ahem* Goro is an adcom btw ;)

I very much understand that I have a long shot, as I have been through these forums for a while and am currently taking classes as well as have some planned for the Fall semester to update. All of this information I am well aware of. Like I was saying earlier, I was just trying to find a way to narrow my list of schools so that I don't waste my time with schools that won't give give me a look (yes, I know most will only take a brief look and probably toss my app)

My current stats are

cGPA = 2.78
sGPA = 3.41
MCAT = 30

These numbers include a fair number of retakes, both science and not.

My point with this is that I probably won't get in anywhere and it makes more sense to retake a few more courses to get my cGPA up to around 3.0-3.2

Once I do that, my chances go up significantly. Remember gaining an interview is the time where you make up for past academic problems and sell yourself. But you need to get past the screening process to get there. So work to get at least a 3.0 then apply. It's expensive to apply, do it once and do it right.

My current stats are

cGPA = 2.78
sGPA = 3.41
MCAT = 30

These numbers include a fair number of retakes, both science and not.

My point with this is that I probably won't get in anywhere and it makes more sense to retake a few more courses to get my cGPA up to around 3.0-3.2

Once I do that, my chances go up significantly. Remember gaining an interview is the time where you make up for past academic problems and sell yourself. But you need to get past the screening process to get there. So work to get at least a 3.0 then apply. It's expensive to apply, do it once and do it right.

That cGPA need to come up. Are you sure you are calculating you GPA correctly? I mean to be honest if you have been retaking classes and taking into account grade forgiveness why is your cum so low while your sciGPA is pretty good? Unless non science classes are not your forte, two or three solid semesters of retakes should put you well above the 3.0 line. Also if you are not even consititering MD schools do not do an SMP, think about instead a one year traditional masters at some of the different DO schools like PCOM, LECOM, KCUMB and a few others. They have strong linkage so if you do well in those programs (like 3.8 or higher) they accept you to the medical school. Get that GPA up before you send apps to med schools.

That cGPA need to come up. Are you sure you are calculating you GPA correctly? I mean to be honest if you have been retaking classes and taking into account grade forgiveness why is your cum so low while your sciGPA is pretty good? Unless non science classes are not your forte, two or three solid semesters of retakes should put you well above the 3.0 line. Also if you are not even consititering MD schools do not do an SMP, think about instead a one year traditional masters at some of the different DO schools like PCOM, LECOM, KCUMB and a few others. They have strong linkage so if you do well in those programs (like 3.8 or higher) they accept you to the medical school. Get that GPA up before you send apps to med schools.

My cGPA is so low because I enrolled in two programs when I wasn't mentally ready to complete even a single semester. Therefore I have about 8 F grades in non-science courses that would take a lot of work to retake. But other classes I did well in once I got my head straight, hence the reasonably high sciGPA. Sure some were retakes, but my O-Chem courses and Physics courses were all A's and B's without retakes. I am going to work on getting some courses retaken and it should be enough to bump me to above a cGPA of 3.0

My cGPA is so low because I enrolled in two programs when I wasn't mentally ready to complete even a single semester. Therefore I have about 8 F grades in non-science courses that would take a lot of work to retake. But other classes I did well in once I got my head straight, hence the reasonably high sciGPA. Sure some were retakes, but my O-Chem courses and Physics courses were all A's and B's without retakes. I am going to work on getting some courses retaken and it should be enough to bump me to above a cGPA of 3.0

If you can retake them you should. Just do what you can and once that GPA is above 3.0 send in those apps.

Good luck

I had a < 3 science gpa last cycle, applied towards the end of November and got an interview and was wait listed at AZCOM, I do however have a high grad gpa and high post grad science gpa and a 34 MCAT.

How many interviews did you get? Can I ask your exact gpa and what you think helped you gain acceptance? (EC's, etc)

They do say wishful pre-med magic is the best kind :naughty:

There's a chance.

It's not great though. Unless you have some truly unique ECs, I would work on bumping your cGPA... lucky you, I wish I had an excuse to take more humanities classes.

You have a reasonable sGPA and a strong MCAT for DO schools. If you can get your cGPA back to around 3.1-3.3 you will have a good shot at many DO schools. I would not feel comfortable applying without a minimum 3.0 cGPA, and I mean minimum.

Edit: Read. The. Post. Date.

Last edited:
This person got two interviews, ACOM and Touro-NY. Not sure if they got in though...

Oh good, I got sucked into replying to another old thread. :|

Seriously, people who can't pull a 3.0 GPA in college shouldn't be in med school, or PA school.

Seriously, people who can't pull a 3.0 GPA in college shouldn't be in med school, or PA school.

What about people who get 2.0's in their first 2 years, but then get near 4.0's in upper level? Yah, your logic is flawed.

Reactions: 1 user