School List for Upcoming Cycle? Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunshineStatePreDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current senior at a Top 30 private school. I have a 2.9GPA, (2.8 SCI) - I am enrolling at Barry in the summer (by the time I apply I will have a class done so I can submit Academic Update ASAP).
I am planning on sending in my application on day 1 because all my recommendations are ready and my personal statement is done.

my DAT Scores - (21AA, 21TS, 22PAT) - NO section below 20.
LOTS of leadership experience (president of 3 clubs), community service, 100+ hours of shadowing my general dentist

The classes I will be taking at Barry are classes that I have taken at my university. I hope to get atleast a 3.7 in the program. If I start off strong (say 4.0) for my summer classes and fall semester.. what are my chances at the following schools? are there any other school that you would recommend for my situation? thanks!

ALSO - i am a FL resident

SCHOOL LIST:
University of Florida
Nova
LECOM
BU
NYU
USC
TUFTS
COLUMBIA
PENN
temple
howard
Michigan
Case Western
Western
UoP
UDM
AT Still
UNLV
Midwestern
Rose man

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter that you've taken a class. Once you submit your application you can only update your academic profile from November to February. Make sure you put in your planned courses under the appropriate section on the application.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@JLT223 thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that.

I am taking 9 credits this summer (6 end in August, 3 end in July) and 12 credits this coming fall semester - so if I have 21 Credits of about 3.7-4.0 range, how will i stack up? also would you recommend me applying the first day it opens, or waiting until I have my first grade in July/August?

I really don't know how it works if you're in the middle of a program and are applying. I wouldn't want to give you false information. Someone else will chime in hopefully. You're going to want to submit it ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you an underrepresented minority i.e. African American or Hispanic (edit to add Native American as well)? That will make a world of a difference.

Take Howard off of your list

Howard is a historically black institution, I would take that out.

You have a decent list with some definite reach schools (UPenn and Columbia). Your GPA isn't too competitive, and your DAT scores, while good, are not absolutely stellar (keepin' it real). Chances are always hard to estimate. Some good news is that ASDOH (AT Still) puts a large emphasis on community service. They also have another campus in Missouri (MOSDOH). I would look into that.

I also want to add that you might experience a small GPA boost when you submit your grades to AADSAS. That could put you over the 3.0 mark, which will make a difference!

Are you an underrepresented minority i.e. African American or Hispanic (edit to add Native American as well)? That will make a world of a difference.

How exactly does this apply? My grandmother is 100% Spanish, I've never known if I could put that on any of my applications.

It's up to you, but, if you have the money, I guess why not.

For me, I had a 2.8 uGPA/22AA and didn't apply right away. I finished my SMP and then applied because I didn't feel confident with my initial application.

How exactly does this apply? My grandmother is 100% Spanish, I've never known if I could put that on any of my applications.
It's essentially how you identify YOURSELF. AADSAS will have a section where you can list how you identify yourself.
Here's a link that might answer your question in a better way: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aadsas-faq-compilation.1020426/page-2#post-14936501

Due to the low number of URM in the health profession, URM applicants are valuable. Generally, lower GPA's and test scores are acceptable if you are an URM because dental schools want you in order to diversify the profession. Knowing this though, don't pretend to be something you're not JUST to get into dental school. Be honest. Don't pull a Rachel Dolezal. (This isn't specifically aimed at you, just anyone reading this.)
Race is a touchy subject, but if one identifies themself as an URM, be ready to answer questions such as, "How has your background as an African American/Hispanic/Native American, etc. affected your upbringing/education/thoughts about X?" Could come up in an interview and no one wants to look like an idiot when they can't explain their own background.

I also want to add that you might experience a small GPA boost when you submit your grades to AADSAS. That could put you over the 3.0 mark, which will make a difference!
How?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's essentially how you identify YOURSELF. AADSAS will have a section where you can list how you identify yourself.
Here's a link that might answer your question in a better way: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aadsas-faq-compilation.1020426/page-2#post-14936501

Due to the low number of URM in the health profession, URM applicants are valuable. Generally, lower GPA's and test scores are acceptable if you are an URM because dental schools want you in order to diversify the profession. Knowing this though, don't pretend to be something you're not JUST to get into dental school. Be honest. Don't pull a Rachel Dolezal. (This isn't specifically aimed at you, just anyone reading this.)
Race is a touchy subject, but if one identifies themself as an URM, be ready to answer questions such as, "How has your background as an African American/Hispanic/Native American, etc. affected your upbringing/education/thoughts about X?" Could come up in an interview and no one wants to look like an idiot when they can't explain their own background.
I've never had an interviewer ask me that before.

I identify as an American, I may be one of the few that do. I was born here, my parents were born here, etc. I haven't ever really thought much about my ethnicity. I grew up in a very low income area, where being "white" I was the minority. So it's hard to really identify with ethnicity for me.

I identify as an American, I may be one of the few that do. I was born here, my parents were born here, etc. I haven't ever really thought much about my ethnicity. I grew up in a very low income area, where being "white" I was the minority. So it's hard to really identify with ethnicity for me.
Unfortunately "American" isn't an option on the AADSAS application.

I've never had an interviewer ask me that before.
May or may not happen, just saying! I'm not a minority, so I can't speak from first hand experience. But I am sure someone has been asked about their background before. And, tryin' to be real, if you don't quite match up with how you identify yourself,
interviewers will try seeking some answers.

@JakeSill
I think it's due to discrepancy between the AADSAS scale and your university grade scale. I personally experienced a 0.1 GPA and sGPA boost after submitting my grades. Not sure if everyone experienced the same!

Unfortunately "American" isn't an option on the AADSAS application.

I know which is why I ask. Am I supposed to put that I am Spanish, or is it at such a minimal amount that I don't even bother with it?

I know which is why I ask. Am I supposed to put that I am Spanish, or is it at such a minimal amount that I don't even bother with it?
I think that's your call... None of us can really tell you how to identify yourself. Seems like you have some decisions to make!

I'm sure you've answered these questions when applying for a job or undergrad. It isn't any different for applying to dental school.
:rolleyes:

I'm sure you've answered these questions when applying for a job or undergrad. It isn't any different for applying to dental school.
:rolleyes:

Well in the application it lists "Spanish" in parentheses after the Hispanic and I have never seen that before which is why I asked for clarification

I think it's only fair to put it down on the application if it helps truly define you as a person. If you don't even speak the native language or accept any cultural principles don't even bother. This is my opinion of course and I'm sure people will disagree with me. It's just one of those topics.

You really need to pop over the 3.0 range and continue to take science classes. I had a very similar app but my s gpa was a 3.06 and BCP was a 3.2. I had 5 interviews. If you can retake classes or do anything to boost it past that 3.0 for ur science especially do it. I would apply To Indiana university as well. They are very big on community service and DAT. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile