MD & DO School List Help (3.50 cGPA/3.33 sGPA/516 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm planning to apply this summer for 2021-2022 cycle for the first time. I'd like to get some insight on which schools I should apply to. I'm open to both MD and DO schools and thinking of applying to 30-40 schools. Thank you!

cGPA/sGPA: 3.50/3.33, upward trend toward 3rd and 4th year
MCAT: 516(131/126/131/128)
State: WA
Ethnicity: Asian
Clinical volunteering: 150 hours in hospital ER
Research: ~120 hours in youth sports medicine research
Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours as a receptionist at a free clinic, 30 hours as an after school program volunteer at ESL school, planning to pick up more hours
Employment: chemistry peer tutor at my undergrad institution, testing assistant at a local covid testing site. Both are current employment

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Your complete lack of shadowing and low non clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews.
You should apply to DO schools also and I suggest these:
PNWU-COM
WESTERN
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
UNECOM

I have a little concern with the low number of hours of non-clinical experience, but I hope you'll break the 100 hour barrier by the time you apply to address this. I agree that the lack of variety in your clinical experience may put you behind other applicants who have more insight on health care.

Your GPA and your low EC hrs in both volunteer and clinical exposure is a big issue .the average GPA for Asian matriculant is 3.73 I think and mcat 513.9 so you are on laser thin margin stat wise for MD . If you apply DO yours stats are no problem but your EC’s are still issue because you EC’s will reflect on your essays of why you want to be a doctor which is the central thing they want to know . If you do DO , I would highly recommend shadowing DO and getting DO letter Rec since one of the biggest question they will ask is why DO