School list help? 3.54cgpa 3.48sgpa 503 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. Will be applying this cycle, and need help creating a reasonable school list. Any help would be appreciated.

3.54cgpa, 3.48sgpa
MCAT - 503 (122:shrug:/127/125/129)
FL resident,
Black male
Bio major in honors program at public FL school

Clinical experience
Emergency Room Volunteer (200 hrs, 1.5 yrs)
Patient transporter (will have ~200hrs by application, but not sure if I should include this though b/c just started a few weeks ago)

Research
Starting this summer, will (most likely) receive a grant to do ecological field research

Non-clinical volunteering
ESL teaching assistant (100hrs)

Other ECs/involvements
Peer mentoring student with autism (~100hrs)
Resident Student Association(1 year)
Student government, legislative and executive positions (2 years)
Choir singer (1 year)

awards?
E-board member of the year for RSA
Outstanding Student Leader award for SG

Members don't see this ad.

ALL FL schools
ALL HBCs (including UCLA/Drew)
U WV
IU
Rochester maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Emory (maybe)
Pitt (maybe)
U Toledo
U VM
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

ALL FL schools
ALL HBCs (including UCLA/Drew)
U WV
IU
Rochester maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Emory (maybe)
Pitt (maybe)
U Toledo
U VM
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.
I appreciate the suggestions. What are your concerns with Nova if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the suggestions. What are your concerns with Nova if you don't mind me asking?
Nova: three of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and on top of this, some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match. This was the second worst match rate among all the COMs (only WCU did worse). These are things you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Reactions: 1 user
Why the schools like Pitt and Einstein? I know that more Black doctors are desperately needed, and that his URM status helps him a great deal here. However, OP's stats are much lower even than the 10th percentile at these schools. A Hail Mary shot, @Goro?

Should I include my new hospital job in my app @Goro ? I've heard mixed opinions of doing do.