School List Help (3.78 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 519)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InvaderZ1m

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a school list as I have to finalize it soon. I had several friends with similar stats who got rejected last cycle, so I'm very anxious about my school list. In general, I'd prefer to stay on the east coast, but of course any school is a good school! Please let me know if I should remove any schools from my list that are too far reaches, and if I should add any other MD or DO schools - thank you!!

cGPA: 3.78, sGPA: 3.64

MCAT: 519

Major: Biology
Minor: Sociology

Residence: Massachusetts

Ethnicity: white

Research: 730 hours, malaria lab; no publications, unfortunately, but several poster presentations at on-campus events

Clinical volunteering: 250 hours, local hospital

Clinical experience: medical scribe, emergency department, 370 hours

Shadowing: 20 hours (cardiology)

Non-clinical Volunteering: only 20 hours at a homeless shelter - COVID-19 struck 2 weeks in; I'm hoping to do much more throughout my gap year once things (hopefully) settle down!

Leadership/Other: Biology club vice president, physiology lecture and lab TA, organic chemistry tutor (~200 hours)

Medical School List:
University of Massachusetts
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Dartmouth
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Columbia
NY Med
Albert Einstein
Thomas Jefferson
Pitt
Temple
UVA
Emory
Vanderbilt
University of Chicago
Rush - not sure about this though, given my lack of non-clinical volunteering
University of Miami
USF-Select
USC-Keck
UCSF

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Rush. Harvard and UCSF are reaches. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Hofstra
Rochester
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Washington University
Western Michigan

Yes, your non-clinical volunteering may be an issue, but you have a ton of clinical exposure. Be mindful of schools that really value service to the community and clearly reflect on those clinical opportunities where you did play a role to that end.