School List Help. 3.93/510 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahembearr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA
cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.89

MCAT
2017: 127/126/126/128 --> 507
2019: 127/127/127/129 --> 510

State of residence: TN

Ethnicity and/or race: ORM

Undergraduate institution: State school

Non-volunteer clinical experience:
Scribing: 1000 hours across 2 separate EDs and 1 OB/GYN Clinic

Volunteer clinical experience:
Local hospital: 200 hours
Free Clinics in Nicaragua: 30 hours
RAM: 20 hours

Research experience:
Microgeology Lab: 200 hours with an Honors Thesis; no publications
Nutrition Lab: 30 hours

Shadowing:
Dermatology: 20 hours

Non-clinical volunteering:
40 hours across various local organizations addressing hunger and poverty in the community

Extracurricular activities:
Archery
Video Editing

School List:
Albany*
Creighton*
Drexel*
George Washington*
ETSU
Temple*
Oakland*
Quinnipiac*
SLU*
Jefferson*
Tufts*
Tulane*
UTHSC*
Wake Forest*
Emory*? (reach/dream school)
NYMC
VCU
DO schools including LECOM, MSUCOM, OU-HCOM, RowanSOM, UNECOM

NOTE: Added an asterisk (*) next to the schools that I sent a primary application in 2017. This means they will be considered me as a reapplicant this upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Starting to look like I have no chance this upcoming cycle:/

Hi, I am applying this upcoming cycle so take what I say with a grain of salt.
- I would work on shadowing and non-clinical volunteering as soon as possible. You want some form of primary care shadowing and about 50 hours. I think you can count scribe hours as these though, so you might want to consider dividing some of your hours up.
Additionally your non-clinical volunteering is really really low. This is a red flag to me. Showing service to the undeserved is necessary to show your compassion to others. I would find something were you are interacting with others and that you are passionate about and then make a plan were you can continue volunteering into the application year, and you can try to get in more hours before the application. (Maybe look into doing something like America-corps?) Or if you dont want to make that big of a commitment you could try camps for kids with illnesses or disabilities, the YMCA, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, nursing homes, etc.
Finally I had a friend not get in their first time due to a weak personal statement, and secondaries. Have someone you trust like one of your LOR writers read over your application, and try to get as many eyes on it as possible. I would also aim to submit early in June, but make sure to address these things first.
As for your school list, I do not know how most of those schools treat re-applicants but I think adding DO is a good plan.
Good Luck!