School List Help: 4.0, 40O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to apply to about 25-30 allopathic schools and would like some more suggestions for mid/lower tier OOS friendly schools.

CA resident, just finished junior year.

GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 40 O

Clinical Volunteering:
~200 hours at a hospital emergency room

Shadowing:
Shadowed an oncologist for one semester, about 80 hours total

Research:
2 years at a lab, poster, no paper

Non-Clinical:
American Red Cross, taught CPR classes

Other experiences:
Paid tutor for the school academic services
Played a club sport for the past 2 years, traveled to compete in tournaments

LOR: probably average.

I'm looking to apply broadly since my Extracurriculars and LOR are about average.

List so FAR:
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Stanford
USC
3-4 Ivy Leagues
Baylor
Tulane
Tufts
Boston University
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
University of Washington, Seattle
Wash U in St. Louis
Northwestern

Mid/lower Tiers:
Loma Linda
Drexel
Jefferson
NYMC
(Planning to apply to about 5 more mid/lower tiers)

ANY suggestions would be appreciated. :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you aren't a troll or socially awkward, you can pretty much go anywhere you want with those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm looking to apply to about 25-30 allopathic schools and would like some more suggestions for mid/lower tier OOS friendly schools.

Don't waste your money.

might want to consider the Caribbean :rolleyes:

I would remove UWash. Pointless for OOS.

Why MCAT is only 40? My best friend and I together got a much higher score than this.
Where should you apply? Anywhere you want. However, I seriously doubt that absolutely every school will accept you.

Why MCAT is only 40? My best friend and I together got a much higher score than this.
Where should you apply? Anywhere you want. However, I seriously doubt that absolutely every school will accept you.

Yea my best friend and I combined got much higher than a 40 as well :laugh:

So this list looks good? (Maybe take out University of Washington)

Ohio State is pretty OOS friendly if I remember correctly. UMichigan as well.

Your stats are great, but I think it is a good idea to be safe here and apply to a few more 'safeties' since you aren't sure about the quality of your LORs.. As others have said though, you most likely will get into a "top tier" med school assuming you don't bomb the interviews.

University of washington will make you travel all over the WWaMI states for clinicals... Not sure if that's a bad thing.

Tufts has a ridiculously high average indebtedness and only gives out a max scholarship of half tuition.

What about Duke? I would suggest UNC, but you've got to have a huge tie to NC and want to spend the rest of your life there to have a shot of getting in OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no need to apply to 30 schools with those stats. 20 max maybe, if you have the funds and there are 20 schools you are legit interested in. Just don't be one of those awkward or cocky people in interviews and I'm sure you'll get into at least one of the schools on your list.

If they aren't your top choices, I would nix Drexel, NYMC, and possibly even BU. They aren't good "safety" schools because they get over 10,000 applications per year! Their admission percentages are pretty low as a result, and you would probably have a better shot at the top-tier schools that you listed. If you can write convincing essays, though, then go for it! I know that BU and Drexel are both pretty expensive, and the latter only gives need-based scholarships. You'd have a great shot at a full scholarship at UMich or UChicago.

I agree with Ismet - narrow your list down to 20 schools. There's no reason to apply to more, unless you feel like wasting $$$ on apps and interviews.

If you apply to so many top tiers your bound to get in a few of them with those stats. You have nothing to worry about. But for your own personal satisfaction you can go ahead and add a few mid tiers.

CA resident, just finished junior year.

Clinical Volunteering:
~200 hours at a hospital emergency room

Shadowing:
Shadowed an oncologist for one semester, about 80 hours total

Research:
2 years at a lab, poster, no paper

Non-Clinical:
American Red Cross, taught CPR classes

Other experiences:
Paid tutor for the school academic services
Played a club sport for the past 2 years, traveled to compete in tournaments

LOR: probably average.

I'm looking to apply broadly since my Extracurriculars and LOR are about average.

List so FAR:
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Stanford
USC
3-4 Ivy Leagues
Baylor
Tulane
Tufts
Boston University
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
University of Washington, Seattle
Wash U in St. Louis
Northwestern

Mid/lower Tiers:
Loma Linda
Drexel
Jefferson
NYMC
(Planning to apply to about 5 more mid/lower tiers)

ANY suggestions would be appreciated. :) Thanks!
You are a smart man. I was expecting to see HMS, Yale, ect and thats it. Apply broadly no matter what anyone says...who knows what may happen. You do not have to waste your money though on that many schools, you will get in. But by no means listen to people who tell you to apply where you want and end up applying to only 7 top schools. Be smart and good luck.

If they aren't your top choices, I would nix Drexel, NYMC, and possibly even BU. They aren't good "safety" schools because they get over 10,000 applications per year! Their admission percentages are pretty low as a result, and you would probably have a better shot at the top-tier schools that you listed. If you can write convincing essays, though, then go for it! I know that BU and Drexel are both pretty expensive, and the latter only gives need-based scholarships. You'd have a great shot at a full scholarship at UMich or UChicago.

I agree with Ismet - narrow your list down to 20 schools. There's no reason to apply to more, unless you feel like wasting $$$ on apps and interviews.

I definitely agree. BU and Drexel get way too many applications, and with your stats I wouldn't bother applying to them, they're not worth it. Definitely think about applying to UMich.

So I did some research on MSAR and I have a question:
So a lot of mid/lower tier schools get over 10,000 applications while higher tier schools get about half as much. So it makes it seem that these lower tier schools like Drexel are more selective. However, isn't it the case that the people who apply probably have lower stats? Therefore if someone applied to both Drexel and say UMich, they wouldn't really have a lower chance at Drexel right?

What about Pitt? :D

So I did some research on MSAR and I have a question:
So a lot of mid/lower tier schools get over 10,000 applications while higher tier schools get about half as much. So it makes it seem that these lower tier schools like Drexel are more selective. However, isn't it the case that the people who apply probably have lower stats? Therefore if someone applied to both Drexel and say UMich, they wouldn't really have a lower chance at Drexel right?

There's a lot of self-selection when applying to Top 20 schools. A person with a 29/3.5 is not as likely to apply to a school like UMich as they are to apply to Drexel. It is possible to get into a top-tier with those stats, depending on the rest of the application, but it's much more of a long shot than at a mid-tier or low-tier school. Schools like Drexel get the 10,000+ applications due to being OOS-friendly (people all over the country will apply) and having a lower average MCAT/GPA for acceptance. The more average applicants apply to these schools because this is where they have the best shot at acceptance, but the excellent applicants with 4.0/40 apply to these schools as well (as "backups," as you never know what will happen in admissions!)

If you are applying with a 4.0/40, you really don't have to worry about having a lower chance at any school. You'd be in the top of the applicant pool for mid/low-tier schools.

What a troll thread

:confused: OP asked for advice on his school list, not what his chances are. Obviously he has excellent chances but needed feedback on where to apply.

There's a lot of self-selection when applying to Top 20 schools. A person with a 29/3.5 is not as likely to apply to a school like UMich as they are to apply to Drexel. It is possible to get into a top-tier with those stats, depending on the rest of the application, but it's much more of a long shot than at a mid-tier or low-tier school. Schools like Drexel get the 10,000+ applications due to being OOS-friendly (people all over the country will apply) and having a lower average MCAT/GPA for acceptance. The more average applicants apply to these schools because this is where they have the best shot at acceptance, but the excellent applicants with 4.0/40 apply to these schools as well (as "backups," as you never know what will happen in admissions!)

If you are applying with a 4.0/40, you really don't have to worry about having a lower chance at any school. You'd be in the top of the applicant pool for mid/low-tier schools.

:confused: OP asked for advice on his school list, not what his chances are. Obviously he has excellent chances but needed feedback on where to apply.

Splitting hairs

+1

Also, Georgetown is another one that gets >10000 apps a year, plus I don't think you have nearly enough service to attract their attention. Don't apply to Loma Linda unless you're familiar with and cool with their lifestyle agreement. Don't get cocky, OP, and this app cycle is yours to lose -- good luck.

Cut the list down to 15-20 and spend more time on the apps you love. With your stats you're going to get 100% of secondaries and 95% of interviews. Do you really want to travel to 30 different schools to interview? Talk about applicant burnout..

Cut the list down to 15-20 and spend more time on the apps you love. With your stats you're going to get 100% of secondaries and 95% of interviews. Do you really want to travel to 30 different schools to interview? Talk about applicant burnout..

Yea that's something I was just considering...I don't want to do 25 secondaries and pay 3k for them. Although for interviews I was hoping to get an acceptance early on and being able to cancel all the same tier schools.
Where would you guys recommend cutting down?
I already cut out Georgetown, Tulane, University of Washington, and maybe BU.