School list help (513, 3.88 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpson33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Year in school: Senior. Taking extra semester to finish my football career then scribe in the spring

-Country/ state of residence: MO. Currently at school in IA

-Race: White male

-cGPA: 3.88

-sGPA: 3.9

-Mcat: 504 (126/124/128/126) -> 513 (127/128/129/129)

-Research: 900 in microbiology. Publication in low-level journal. 100 hours at undergrad in designing both automated laboratory technology and crowd-sourcing drug design

-Clinical volunteering: Weak point of my app. Playing sports + other ECs made this very difficult to find time for

-Clinical Hours: I start scribing here in a couple weeks. I expect to have around 150 by primary submission and then over 1000 at least by matriculation

-Non-clinical: Advertising chair for a school event promoting HPV testing and awareness (30 hours). Best buddies (75 hours). Worked with football team yearly to dedicate time to cleaning and restoring a local summer day-camp facility (40 hours)

-Physician shadowing: 40 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon

-Extracurricular activities: Member of college football team. 3x team captain. Member of campus Pre-Health Society. Member of Tri-Beta Honors Society

-Teaching Experience: On-campus tutor for biology, biochemistry, microbiology, human physiology, cell biology, gen chem and orgo. Designed Pre-Med guide for undergraduates giving advice on required coursework, research, ECs, taking the MCAT, and applying. TA for human biology and orgo labs. Will begin MCAT tutoring w/ Kaplan after the football season this year

-Hobbies: Fishing. Weightlifting. Play guitar in a band and w/ local church

-Awards: 2x leadership award for university football team. Tutor of the month. Outstanding senior in biology for undergrad. Dean’s list: 4x. President’s List: 3x

-Work experience: Golf course attendant (2012-2015). Work studies: weight room fitness center help desk, tutoring, TA. Undergraduate researcher at a medical school. Bout to begin scribing here in a month

-Specialty of interest: Orthopedic surgery is definitely something I have experience with and found fascinating, but otherwise very open

-Interest in rural health: Not particularly

-School list:

Target:

University of Missouri

University of Kansas (born there and have extensive family ties)

University of Iowa

Creighton

SLU

USUHS

UMKC (connections, I know they’re not traditional)

Tulane

University of Arizona-Tuscon

Reach:

USC

UCLA

Dartmouth

A little background: I began applying last year but ended up tearing my ACL in the summer before I got verified. Not sure if that makes me a reapplicant, but I was never verified. Anyways, over this last year I redshirted my football season, retook the MCAT and improved significantly, and focused heavily on building this Pre-Med guide for my undergrad while being a team captain for my university's football team. I am looking to build my school list and, even though I know it's a crazy long shot, live close to my SO of 5 years who is a professional dancer in LA. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive interviews. I suggest adding a few more schools such as:
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good list and should receive interviews. I suggest adding a few more schools such as:
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Awesome. Thank you!