School List help - 518 MCAT (balanced), 3.87 GPA (strong finish), Weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkpauladin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
idk, you're an ORM with 2 IA's for an illegal substance with weak EC's and almost no research. It doesn't look good to me.

idk, you're an ORM with 2 IA's for an illegal substance with weak EC's and almost no research. It doesn't look good to me.

I have 3 semesters of academic research, 1 summer, and am continuing on as a full-time research technician with my gap year. Does it have to be published to count as meaningful research? I am trying to work hard on generating enough data for a paper this year.

I don't really know how to handle the IAs, and it scares the hell out of me sometimes. I talked about it best I could in the AMCAS section and underwent voluntary counseling for it. I was very immature back then ... I don't know what else to say.

Thanks for your input though! Let me know if there are schools I should take out or add. I tried to research many safer schools while being in their 10-90% MCAT. I definitely recognize the weaknesses in my application -- the IAs and weak ECs, I also could have done more research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm premed and applying this cycle, so take my words with a shaker of salt.

Research/EC/ORM is not the problem here I think. You have done a good deal in your 3 years of college, especially if dealing with mental illness.

It's mainly the IAs. You have shown that you're a capable student, but you have also given the adcoms two reasons (two IAs) to red flag you. If I were in your position, though, I would try not to worry too much about it, and just make sure I can speak about them professionally. Take heed of the stigma of mental illness in medical school, and try not to talk too much about it unless prompted directly.

Sorry I don't have any actual advice about your school list. Just wanted to comment because I noticed you mentioned depression.

I'm premed and applying this cyc le, so take my words with a shaker of salt.

Research/EC/ORM is not the problem here I think. You have done a good deal in your 3 years of college, especially if dealing with mental illness.

It's mainly the IAs. You have shown that you're a capable student, but you have also given the adcoms two reasons (two IAs) to red flag you. If I were in your position, though, I would try not to worry too much about it, and just make sure I can speak about them professionally. Take heed of the stigma of mental illness in medical school, and try not to talk too much about it unless prompted directly.

Sorry I don't have any actual advice about your school list. Just wanted to comment because I noticed you mentioned depression.
Adding my thoughts. There were a couple IA threads in the pre-allo forum the past week I think you should check those out OP. As long as you weren't cheating on an exam or murdered someone I think you'll be fine. Don't stress too much about it at this point.
For school list @gyngyn @Goro @Faha

Thanks for both your comments!

In the past, I used to stress over my IA to the point of panic attacks and it's actually what caused my second IA (marijuana). Extremely stupid, I know now. The IAs were both close in time (less than a month in between) and about two years have passed since then.

In any case, I have come to terms with the decisions I made through the counseling I mentioned, and am able to talk about it professionally.

To increase your chances add a few more schools such as:
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
To increase your chances add a few more schools such as:
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into those schools.

I'm thinking about taking out UCLA/UCSD even though they're instate for me. My list seems a bit top heavy to me. What do you think?

Add UCI.

Delete CNU. You can do better with Western or Touro-CA. At least they let their students get federal loans.

Swap out NYMC for U Miami, Tulane or Rochester. Also consider U VM and U AZ

Hi, so I think my GPA and MCAT are strong enough to get me noticed. However, I also think my ECs are lacking as well as incurring 2 IAs. So, I feel as if the lower-tier may not consider me due to my high GPA and MCAT, thinking that I am only applying to them as a safety school. On the other hand, I think the mid/higher-tiers will reject me due to lack of good ECs. What should I do? I've constructed a school list below using MSAR (considering mission, OOS%, and applicants/spot), the LizzyM score, and secondary prompts while planning to apply broadly (15+ schools). Please give me your opinion on some schools that I might add or take out.
Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

Background/Education
Asian, Male, California Resident
3.87cGPA, ~3.9sGPA - undergrad private urban college with well established medical school (non HYPS)
Graduated in three years w/ B.A. in Biology (summa cum laude) due to extra AP credits
MCAT - balanced 518 (Chem/Phys - 130, CARS - 130, Bio - 129, Psych/Soc - 129)

Activities/Work
Peer Mentor (1.5 semesters)
- online mentorship for at-risk teens, helped plan out paths to higher education and reinforced importance of staying in school
Relay for life (2 years)
- 1 year as member, and following year as chairman of sponsorship committee
Hospital Volunteering (2 academic semesters)
- regular patient interactions
Research (1 funded summer, 2 semesters for academic credit until graduation, continuing after graduation as full-time research tech.)
- at ugrad medical school in dept of neurology
- presented own poster at research symposium (at ugrad inst.)
Research (1 semester for no academic credit or pay)
- started first semester as freshman

Awards
Dean's List - all semesters
Merit scholarship upon arrival to ugrad, renewing for all semesters
Summa Cum Laude

Institutional Action (2)
- Both within one month of each other in fall semester of sophomore year - alcohol/marijuana
- Underwent counseling (voluntary) to work through struggles with depression/anxiety

Personal Statement (Quality - Above average to average; went through several edits w/ premed advisor)

LoRs (Quality - Above average to average)
1 from PI, 1 from Research Coworker/Mentor, 2 from Science faculty all will come in committee letter

Schools Applying (n = 24)
Reach (10)
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
BU
Tufts
Ohio State
USC
Case Western
University of Pittsburg
Emory
Target (4)
UCI
University of Cincinnati
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Safety (10)
UCD
Loyola
California Northstate
NY Medical College
Oakland University
Temple
Wake Forest
Quinnipac
Thomas Jefferson
Saint Louis

In case, I do not get in this cycle I am working on getting in shadowing hours, volunteering with a crisis hotline, and trying to get back into more clinical volunteering through the hospital/hospice/American Cancer Society. I am also working full-time as a research technician in a well-known medical school.
Please let me know if you think I should be doing any more things with my gap year. I appreciate all advice and comments!

Reactions: 1 users
Add UCI.

Delete CNU. You can do better with Western or Touro-CA. At least they let their students get federal loans.

Swap out NYMC for U Miami, Tulane or Rochester. Also consider U VM and U AZ

Thanks for your advice!

I just applied with my list yesterday since I got verified two days ago. So unfortunately, CNU and NYMC will have to stick. Thanks for letting me know about the federal loan situation -- if I had known earlier I definitely wouldn't have applied.

Western/Touro -- do you think I need to add DO schools? I'm hesitant because I am unsure of requirements (like if I need a physician DO endorsement).

U Miami, Tulane, and Rochester look like excellent schools for me to apply to.

Not at all. I'm just saying that they're better choices than CNU.

[QUOTE="darkpauladin, post: 17859372, member: 779271".

Western/Touro -- do you think I need to add DO schools? I'm hesitant because I am unsure of requirements (like if I need a physician DO endorsement).