School List Help (524 MCAT,3.7 sGPA, 3.7cgpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Drexel, Netter, Nova since they will yield protect with your stats. You should receive multiple interviews from your Texas schools. Some OOS schools may not interview you since they assume Texas residents will attend a Texas school.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove Drexel, Netter, Nova since they will yield protect with your stats. You should receive multiple interviews from your Texas schools. Some OOS schools may not interview you since they assume Texas residents will attend a Texas school.

Does Texas yield protect high stat applicants? I only just learned about yield protection, so im wondering wouldn't Texas med schools think very high stat applicants would wanna go to OOS "top" tier schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
your MCAT is good but your GPA isn't nearly high enough to be considered "high stats"

I agree. OP, try the stats who..um, sex workers, like Stanford, and WashU, but I think that your chances are best in TX.

So, this is the 2nd time i've seen you say that but i was too afraid to ask what you mean the first time LOL. So um...what did you mean by the sex workers part

I'm also a Texas resident and currently a student at a T5 medical school. With your stats right now, I think it'll be very likely that you get into one of the TX schools if you perform reasonably well on the interview and secondaries, and for that reason, I would eliminate a lot of the OOS mid-tier schools on your list (Nova Southeastern, Drexel, OHSU, Colorado, Tufts etc.). These will be low yield especially so since you're a TX resident, and the costs are incomparable to the discount you get at TX schools.

As for the T20 schools you're applying to, your stats are qualifiable although your lopsided GPA will probably hold you back at some places. I will say that students attending a TX undergrad have a hard time getting interviews and acceptances at these schools, because interviewers will question your commitment to going OOS and the fact that UTSW and Baylor both offer solid educations for a fraction of the cost. If you truly desire to attend these schools, however, you need a LOT more research to fit into their science-oriented missions. For that reason, the clinical research gap year is a must in my mind. Get involved with basic science too if you can. Best of luck.

Makes sense. My biggest concern was also my GPA. Definitely going to try and get into clinical research. Thank you for the insight!

Definitely remove OHSU, Colorado, and UNC. They each give too much IS bias (Colorado not as much, but still most of their OOS matriculants have strong ties).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also a Texas resident and currently a student at a T5 medical school. With your stats right now, I think it'll be very likely that you get into one of the TX schools if you perform reasonably well on the interview and secondaries, and for that reason, I would eliminate a lot of the OOS mid-tier schools on your list (Nova Southeastern, Drexel, OHSU, Colorado, Tufts etc.). These will be low yield especially so since you're a TX resident, and the costs are incomparable to the discount you get at TX schools.

As for the T20 schools you're applying to, your stats are qualifiable although your lopsided GPA will probably hold you back at some places. I will say that students attending a TX undergrad have a hard time getting interviews and acceptances at these schools, because interviewers will question your commitment to going OOS and the fact that UTSW and Baylor both offer solid educations for a fraction of the cost. If you truly desire to attend these schools, however, you need a LOT more research to fit into their science-oriented missions. For that reason, the clinical research gap year is a must in my mind. Get involved with basic science too if you can. Best of luck.
Forgot to mention, how is covid going to affect my chances at t20 schools? I was set to start clinical research this past summer but never started because of COVID. That was my gap year plan, but I can always start soon I think. Should I just explain this in the gap year essay that I was supposed to start research but couldn’t?