School list help and advice for gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulika

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I just graduated this May and plan on taking 2 gap years. I’m taking a few months off to help out my family with medical emergency stuff but I’ll be working as a research technician (possibly research coordinator) at a hospital clinical lab.
I need help with schools list and general advice for my gap year. I plan on applying to both MD and DO schools.
Here are my stats
Ethnicity: Asian
School: non-ivy top 30 school with rigorous science program (we have 75%+ acceptance rate into med schools according to our pre health department lol)
Major: Neuroscience and Biology
Minor: Philosophy
State: MA
GPA: 3.39 cGPA 3.32 sGPA (upward trend towards the last 3,4 semesters)
MCAT: 518
ECs: 500+ hours of clinical volunteering
150+ hours of shadowing
300+ hours as research assistant at a rigorous neurophysiology lab (no publication tho:()
School Newspaper Photographer/Writer for 2 years
VP/Secretary for two clubs for 4 semesters
Refugee Organization volunteer/club (dont really have exact hours for this but I was in a leadership position for this club for 2 years. Did a bunch of fundraisers)
Tutor for kids with Autism for 3 semesters
Volunteer at a nursing home helping elders with technology(I started the program and also organized zumba dance class with them)
Stats TA for 1 semester
Intro Bio TA for 1 semester
Im not sure if this counts but I also did Intramural sports squash for 2 years.

I know Im at the very bottom for GPA percentile. Do I have a chance at low tier MD schools?
Should I do an SMP or post-bacc? I really dont want to:(

Members don't see this ad.

A DIY post bacc would greatly increase your chances if you raise your sGPA over 3.4 . You could take science courses at a local college in the coming year, enough courses to increase your sGPA to at least 3.4 . Where is your state of residence ?

A DIY post bacc would greatly increase your chances if you raise your sGPA over 3.4 . You could take science courses at a local college in the coming year, enough courses to increase your sGPA to at least 3.4 . Where is your state of residence ?
My state of residence is Massachusetts.
How would taking science classes at a local college compute into my gpa? Since I graduated already?
Also, I heard there are certain postbacc and SMP programs with linkages to med schools. Do I have a chance at those programs? Do you recommend them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any undergraduate level science courses you take are included in your sGPA. I suggest these schools when you apply:
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the list! Much appreciated:)
I'm not sure if I can afford to take classes at a local college but I'll definitely look into it. Would taking 2,3 upper science classes and acing them be enough? Also, would you say my chances are pretty slim without taking upper science classes and acing them?

Thank you for all the help! @Faha

If you increase your sGPA and cGPA to 3.4 or higher the GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance increase from ~60% to ~75%.

@Goro: looks like a solid reinvention here; a DIY postbacc (if the upward trend's only 3 strong semesters) could seal the deal for OP.

GPA: 3.39 cGPA 3.32 sGPA (upward trend towards the last 3,4 semesters)

I know Im at the very bottom for GPA percentile. Do I have a chance at low tier MD schools?
Should I do an SMP or post-bacc? I really dont want to:(

What does the bolded mean?

That you had an upward trends avore the past 3-4 semesters, or only in semester 3 and 4?

Please give your year-by year GPAs.

As a rule of thumb, a single strong SR year isn't enough to prove reinvention. TWO solid final years will.

That you had an upward trends avore the past 3-4 semesters, or only in semester 3 and 4?

As a rule of thumb, a single strong SR year isn't enough to prove reinvention. TWO solid final years will.
Sorry for the confusion. Here’s my GPA by semester.
I’m aiming for MD schools but I also want to apply to DO schools. How are my chances for DO?

Last edited:

BUMP