School List Help (cGPA 3.83, MCAT 517)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffy-Still

Reaction score
I'm applying for the first time in the 2024-25 cycle and I would love some input on my school list and application in general. Thank you!!

State: MN (strong ties to ND)

School: small liberal arts (MN)

ORM? Yes, White

Major: Spanish

GPA: cGPA- 3.83, sGPA - 3.79 (1 retake on record, B -> B+ in orgo I)

MCAT: 517

ECs:

Clinical Paid =

1000 hrs as a CNA (inpatient)

Clinical Volunteering =

570 hrs as a volunteer EMT (collegiate EMS)

40 hrs as a volunteer for vaccine clinics with Spanish speaking patients (more anticipated)

Research =

~700 hrs clinical research in critical care at a level 1 trauma center (more anticipated)

400 hrs of independent retrospective research project. Designed and proposed a project based on observations from EMT work and received a grant from my undergrad to complete the project. 3 poster presentations from this project and hopefully 1 first author pub (it's been accepted, just not published yet). Received an award for 1 of the poster presentations.

400 hrs of lab research in a genetics lab (1 poster presentation)

Non-clinical =

15 hrs hospice volunteering. Only providing companionship, no medical care. (more ancitipated)

200 hrs working in the Spanish department. I corrected tests/papers, designed assignments, and tutored students 1:1.

Shadowing =

125 hours total (multiple specialties including primary care, EM, OBGYN, trauma surgery, general surgery, optho, urology, and pathology)

75 hours from before undergrad

50 hours during and after undergrad

Leadership =

300 hrs as Quality Improvement Officer for my collegiate EMS organization. Reviewed all run reports to ensure appropriate care was provided, identified gaps in training and helped design new protocols to fix these gaps, met with EMTs to discuss areas of improvement and offer retraining.

Misc. =

200 hrs helping a medical start up company to conduct market research and help them with the commercialization of their product

400 hrs as an intern assisting a major hospital research the feasibility of implementing a mobile crisis unit

PS Focus: advocacy for patients, ensuring patients are treated with dignity and I how have done so for my patients throughout my journey in medicine.

MD School List:

University of Minnesota
University of North Dakota
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton University
Case Western Reserve University (5yr College Program)
Loyola University Chicago
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel University
University of Michigan
Boston University
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Tufts University
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Albany Medical College
Nova Southeastern University
University of Miami
Washington University in St. Louis
Tulane University
Quinnipiac University

Members don't see this ad.

Schools including Rush and Loyola are looking for applicants with many hundreds or thousands of hours of non clinical volunteering (you have only 15 hours). You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Northwestern
USF Morsani
George Washington
Jefferson
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Mount Sinai

PS Focus: advocacy for patients, ensuring patients are treated with dignity and I how have done so for my patients throughout my journey in medicine.
Point to me which activities did this occur?

Also, where is your community service and advocacy there? You have graded papers for the Spanish department for 200 hours but only worked as a Spanish translator for 40.