MD School List Help - High Stats but Meh ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxcoll18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble generating a school list b/c I feel like my app is unbalanced. My stats are strong, but I feel like my research and ECs will hold me back. I just really want to maximize my chances of getting in anywhere this coming cycle.

cGPA: 3.99, sGPA: 4.0
Major: BCPM
MCAT: 526
State: CA

Clinical Experience:
1. Scribing ~ 160 hrs (Continuing)
2. Volunteer ~ 40 hr

Research Experience:
1. Neuroscience ~ 600 hrs (1.5yrs)
No pubs.

Shadowing:
1. Sports Med ~ 9 hrs
2. Pathology ~ 27 hrs
3. Oncology ~ 56 hrs

Non Clinical Volunteering:
1. Homeless Shelter ~ 120 hrs (Continuing)
2. Low-Income Housing Center ~ 60 hrs
3. ACS ~ 60 hrs

Work Experience:
1. Work-Study Job: ~ 500 hrs
2. Family Store: ~ 400 hrs

Any help cutting/adding schools to my current list would be very much appreciated! I'm worried I'm aiming too high right now.

Einstein
Boston U
Case Western
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Ichan
Johns Hopkins
USC
NYU
Northwestern
U. Penn
Thomas Jefferson
Stanford
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U. Chicago
U. Michigan
Pitt
U. Rochester
Vanderbilt
Wash U.
Cornell
Western Michigan
Yale
Hofstra
U. Virginia
Ohio State
U. Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow primary care and see if you can't get more clinical volunteering. Other than that, you're pretty good, aim high. Add your state schools and a couple midtiers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow primary care and see if you can't get more clinical volunteering. Other than that, you're pretty good, aim high. Add your state schools and a couple midtiers.

I actually scribe in primary care. Do you think that would take care of the shadowing aspect?

And are there any additional mid-tiers you would recommend? So far in terms of mid tiers/states I have: Emory, BU, USC, Rochester, Cincinnati, Einstein, Jefferson, Hofstra, Western Michigan, and the UCs.

Your EC’s are fine. The issue for you will be a lot of midiers will yield-protect, so you will actually need a top heavy list and apply to all the stat heavy schools (which are basicallly the top 25s).

Some midtiers that like high stats include hofstra, BU, USC, Rochester, Einstein, so your current list looks fine. Western michigan may be lower yield but if you like it go ahead. Key is to work hard on your application-you have the ingredients to get into multiple top schools, you just need to put it together nicely. Best of luck!

I actually scribe in primary care. Do you think that would take care of the shadowing aspect?

And are there any additional mid-tiers you would recommend? So far in terms of mid tiers/states I have: Emory, BU, USC, Rochester, Cincinnati, Einstein, Jefferson, Hofstra, Western Michigan, and the UCs.
I think it would. Get more clinical volunteering. You are a rock star. Aim high. Look at Goro's rock star list. Good luck!