School List Help, Low GPA High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berkaderk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm trying to curate my school list right now.

Overview of stats
Graduated in 2018, took a gap year to do research at ucsf
3.28cgpa, 3.22sgpa from top 20 UG school known for deflation (I know it still sucks)
Upward GPA trend, I was at a 3.5 my last two years
521 MCAT (130/130/130/131)
~250 clinical hours (shadowing, clinical volunteering)
~150 non clinical volunteer hours, spent working with low income kids
~2000 hours research. No pubs, but two papers in progress and my PI at UCSF is letting them know that
Two leadership positions involving community health outreach
ORM, CA resident

I have a huge school list right now, and I'm going to probably apply to around 35-40 schools. Here's the list, and any input or additions/deletions would be great.
California Northstate University
California University of Science and Medicine
USC - Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSF
UCSD
Ohio State
Dartmouth
USF-Morsani
Indiana University
University of Miami
Iowa
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
University of Colorado
West Virginia University
Michigan State
Boston University
Temple
George Washington
Loyola
Rochester
VCU
Emory
Drexel
uconn
loma linda
FIU
Creighton
NYMC
Wayne State
TCMC
Quinniapac
St. Louis
Oakland
Toledo
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
UofA Tucson
EVMS
Vermont

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools from your list:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
USF-Morsani
Indiana University
Iowa
Wake Forest
West Virginia University
Temple
George Washington
Loyola
VCU
Drexel
loma linda
Creighton
NYMC
Wayne State
TCMC
Quinniapac
Oakland
EVMS
Vermont
You could add these schools:
Kaiser
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Penn State
Jefferson
Western Michigan
TCU-UNT
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 60% chance for a MD acceptance. You should apply to several DO schools also. Some schools may be attracted to your high MCAT of 521.

My sister had almost exactly the same stats as you and received secondaries from multiple md's but was accepted to DO overall, make sure you include DO schools in your list unless you're willing to do a postbacc for a gpa boost (look into linkage smps) good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone, I'm trying to curate my school list right now.

Overview of stats
Graduated in 2018, took a gap year to do research at ucsf
3.28cgpa, 3.22sgpa from top 20 UG school known for deflation (I know it still sucks)
Upward GPA trend, I was at a 3.5 my last two years
521 MCAT (130/130/130/131)
~250 clinical hours (shadowing, clinical volunteering)
~150 non clinical volunteer hours, spent working with low income kids
~2000 hours research. No pubs, but two papers in progress and my PI at UCSF is letting them know that
Two leadership positions involving community health outreach
ORM, CA resident

I have a huge school list right now, and I'm going to probably apply to around 35-40 schools. Here's the list, and any input or additions/deletions would be great.
USC - Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSF
UCSD
Ohio State
Dartmouth
USF-Morsani
Indiana University
University of Miami
Iowa
Wake Forest
University of Colorado
West Virginia University
Michigan State
Boston University
Temple
George Washington
Loyola
Rochester
VCU
Emory
Drexel
uconn
loma linda
FIU
Creighton
NYMC
Wayne State
TCMC
Quinniapac
St. Louis
Oakland
Toledo
UofA Tucson
EVMS
Vermont
Of you list, I recommend investing in MSAR Online, and removing schools where your GPA is < thier 10th %iles, and using 3.5 as your GPA. Delete UCR is you're not from the Inland Empire. Delete U AZ, TCMC, U CT, Loma Linda (unless you are SDA), MSU (have you seen their OOS tuition???), U CO, U IA, OH State. I can;t recommend CN"u" and no, I not going to explain anymore. It's like dealing with Carib people.

hey Goro, my actual GPA is below the 10th percentile for most schools. Are you saying use 3.5 as my GPA when I look at the MSAR and 10th percentile?

hey Goro, my actual GPA is below the 10th percentile for most schools. Are you saying use 3.5 as my GPA when I look at the MSAR and 10th percentile?
Yes. I think that's what Goro's saying: don't apply to any schools where the 10th percentile GPA is north of 3.5.

Last edited:
Yes. I think that's what Goro's saying: don't apply to any schools where the 10th percentile GPA is south of a 3.5.

I think you mean don't apply to any schools where the 10th percentile is north of 3.5. South of 3.5 would probably be 3.3 or 3.4, which is more likely to be in the OP's benefit as opposed to north of 3.5, which is further from his actual GPA.

@berkaderk Would love to see updates on how this cycle goes for you! My stats and UG background (top 20 college with grade deflation) are very similar to yours-- planning to apply next year.

@berkaderk Would love to see updates on how this cycle goes for you! My stats and UG background (top 20 college with grade deflation) are very similar to yours-- planning to apply next year.

I'm not on here too much but I'll do my best to update you!

Reactions: 1 user