School List Help MD/DO - CA ORM 3.98/513

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landjones

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some help crafting and narrowing down my list for both DO and MD. I have a few reaches that I am unsure if are good and plenty of low yields which may not be a good idea? Would appreciate any suggestions to add or cut. Sorry for the long post!

State/Country of Residence: California

URM? (Y/N): No, but SES Disadvantaged, First-Gen/Single-Parent

Year in School: Rising Senior

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology at High-Tier UC

Cumulative GPA: 3.98

Science GPA: 4.00

MCAT Score(s): 513 131/125/130/127

Research Experience: Could not obtain significant research experience until the start of 3rd year due to COVID-19, but plan to do more

* 420 hours in orthopedic research at the university's SOM and academic hospital. A mix of bench and clinical research on osteolysis and bone infection determinants from implants, etc. Started independent project on implant wear and gait. No pubs, but I will have a strong letter from PI. Projecting another 500 ish hours for the next academic year.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):

* Clinical Volunteering at UC Medical Center - 300 Hours

* Primary Care Medical Assistant at a low-income clinic - 775 hours and will be getting an extremely strong letter from the physician I worked under for 2 yrs (according to him).

* COVID-19 Screener and Vaccination Clinic Volunteer: Aout 150 hours of helping with PCR tests and vaccinations. Did it from April 2020 to April 2021. Helped them recruit patients for a research study to develop a saliva-based COVID test with a UC Health System.

Nonclinical Volunteering

* 160 hours tutoring underserved and homeless children across elementary schools where I live

* 600 hours of volunteering at the soup kitchen affiliated with a temple. Took. a leadership position and helped create a hands-free system of delivering meals to homeless shelters during the pandemic. Helped coordinate truck rentals and packaging meals so other volunteers could deliver them. Cooked and served meals to members during dining services, etc.

Other ECs/Leadership

* 800 hours total being a Teaching Assistant for a math and programming course and helping redesign the course to make it equitable for freshmen. Worked my way up from a learning assistant to a teaching assistant. Was able to get a leadership position in the department. Started with facilitating coding labs and assisting students and then moved into a logistical position. Coordinate meetings with department heads, professors, and deans. Pitched and helped redesign the traditional math course to include capstone projects to analyze data and apply the math concepts to real-life problems like dialysis and covid. Working with educational research teams as well and doing research on learning strategies as a teaching fellow now. (One of my MME's)

* 3D Modeling and Printing, Started a small store on Etsy and eBay (kinda a hobby)

Physician Shadowing: 150 hours unfortunately only in one specialty - heme/onc. Trying to get more DO and MD shadowing rn and maybe can update them?

LoRs:

* 1 strong science prof, 1 decent science prof, 1 strong non-science prof

* 1 strong from research PI

* 1 extremely strong from the physician I was a medical assistant for

* 1 strong letter from the soup kitchen I worked with

School List

IS:

UC Irvine School of Medicine

UC San Diego School of Medicine

Keck USC School of Medicine

Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine

University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine

UC Davis

UCSF

California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine

OOS:

Creighton SOM

Albany Medical College

Albert Einstein SOM

New York Medical College

University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, AZ

University of Vermont

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Virginia Tech

Virginia Commonwealth

Medical College of Wisconsin

University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine

Tulane SOM (Low Yield)

Lewis Katz Temple

Drexel SOM

Penn State (Low Yield)

Geisinger

Georgetown University SOM

George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

Wake Forest

Tufts

Loyola Stritch - Chicago

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University

Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

Saint Louis University School of Medicine

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine

Rosalind Franklin University - Chicago

Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine

Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. SOM

University of Colorado School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Virginia Tech and Geisinger since they have an instate and regional preference. You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Hofstra
Rochester

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know why you are applying to DO programs unless you are a reapplicant. I would think you have solid metrics so what are your concerns that you would apply to Osteopathic schools?

Reactions: 1 users