MD School List Help - nontrad, Wisconsin, 3.87 sGPA, 518 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doccochran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional, and I hope to apply only once. I'm constructing this school list to maximize acceptances - my secondary goal is a full or partial scholarship. Any feedback on schools with non-traditional preferences, less weight given to recent clinical experiences, or scholarship offerings are welcome. WedgeDawg score of 72. Thank you.

-3.9 cGPA, 3.87 sGPA
-518 MCAT (129,131,128,130)
-white male, Wisconsin residency
-top 20 undergrad, Economics major
-clinical experience - three summers volunteer experience in high school, 50 hours recent nursing home volunteer, 1.5 years working in software IT with 1/4 of the time spent in hospitals/clinics
-research experience - none
-shadowing experience - ALL HIGH SCHOOL pediatrics (150 hours), radiology (50 hours), ED (20 hours), sleep lab (20 hours)
-non-clinical volunteering
*international experience teaching refugees about 10 hours/week for one year
*environmental cleanup projects (2 hours/week)
*community swim instructor
-other extracurricular activities
*I started a successful business in college which has allowed me to travel internationally for three of the last five years
*I currently manage my commune's ~$200k budget
*Write healthcare policy related articles for local journals
-Professional experience
*I worked in IT for 1.5 years, and I interacted with physicians of all sorts, and patients of all sorts, in a variety of settings (hospital and clinics)
*I've travelled extensively, which put a lot of strain on my volunteer activities
*My four letters come from 1) my former boss, 2) professor for recent course, 3) professor for recent course, and 4) pediatrician with whom I shadowed 150 hours

My thoughts on my application - My LORs, GPA, and MCAT scores are strong. I have relevant professional experience. Traveling has left huge holes in my application and I am lacking ECs - most problematic being recent clinical experience. I've begun volunteering at a local hospital, and have been trying to find patient facing employment - very little luck, but hopefully soon!

ORIGINAL SCHOOL LIST (n=29) (according to WedgeDawg's ranking)
State (n=2)
-Medical College Wisconsin
-UW Madison
Top (n=8)
-Chicago
-Columbia
-Duke
-Harvard
-Hopkins
-Stanford
-WashU
-Yale
High (n=10)
-Case Western
-Cornell
-Emory
-Mayo (AZ)
-Mayo (MN)
-Mt. Sinai
-Northwestern
-Pitt
-UCLA
-UofM
Mid (n=7)
-Dartmouth
-Einstein
-Hofstra
-Ohio State
-UNC
-USC-Keck
-UVA
Low (n=2)
-Miami
-Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive many interviews from that list.

I've changed the list up - are there too many reach schools now? Does my lack of research experience absolutely kill my application at any of these schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

-UW Madison
-Case Western
-Emory
-Mayo (AZ)
-Mayo (MN)
-UCLA
-UofM
-Dartmouth
-Einstein
-Hofstra
-Ohio State
-USC-Keck
-UVA
-Miami

ADD: BU, Rochester, U VM, U AZ, U CO, U ILL, U IA, Wayne State, maybe IU

RUNNING SCHOOL LIST (n=35) (according to WedgeDawg's ranking) (underlined are generous financial aid schools according to SN)
State (n=2)
-UW Madison
Top (n=8)
-Chicago
-Columbia
-Duke
-Harvard
-Hopkins
-Stanford
-WashU
-Yale

High (n=10)
-Case Western
-Cornell
-Emory
-Mayo (AZ)
-Mayo (MN)
-Mt. Sinai
-Northwestern
-Pitt
-UCLA
-UofM
Mid (n=14)
-Dartmouth
-Einstein
-Hofstra
-Ohio State
-USC-Keck
-UVA
-BU
-Rochester
-U VM
-U CO
-U ILL
-U IA
-Wayne State
-Loyola
Low (n=1)
-Miami

Last edited:
Hi all,

Applications went out, and the rejections have been rolling in. I'd like to avoid reapplying - any suggestions on schools to which I could productively apply late this cycle?

Have you received any interviews? From your list above which schools have you not been rejected from?

Interview invites (3): MCW (rejected post interview), Case Western, and Tulane
Rejections post secondaries (4): Stanford, Dartmouth, UPitt, Mayo (MN)
On Hold (1): Mayo (AZ)
Silence: all others

3 interview invites by late October is good. The interview season lasts until March so you should receive several more from the schools you applied to. If you want to add schools at this late date you could try Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson but check and see if the application deadlines have passed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello future doctors. I've stumbled upon many dead end posts on SDN, and I've wondered how the stories wrapped up. I'd like to wrap this thread to provide a more valuable resource for future applicants. I hope this proves useful for someone someday.

I received five interview invites in total, four of which I attended. The caliber of schools were all over the place, and I'm unsure how to characterize the metrics schools use to determine potential students. I'd guess its really about how your application strikes the persons reading your stuff. I was very nervous during my first two interviews - and these interviews resulted in two rejections. I was relaxed and myself during my last two interviews- and I received two outright acceptances. I canceled my fifth II which came in mid-February.

Takeaways - This process is very stressful, and it is just the start of a longer race. Keep positive thoughts and try to contribute to the world in whatever way you can - this shine will enrich your lives and the lives of those around you. Enjoy yourself and take time to smile. IIs keep coming until mid-February. Live outside the application cycle. Take the chance to explore the new cities you'll be visiting, and try to meet locals. Apply broadly, if possible.

Lastly, thank you for those who helped provide insight and guidance when I began this process. I was at a crossroads, and the gentle touch @Faha, @Goro, and @gyngyn gave me are exemplary cases of how we should all hope to approach our patients. The products @BerkReviewTeach advocates are super helpful, and their frank critique of their products convinced me to buy their books.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello future doctors. I've stumbled upon many dead end posts on SDN, and I've wondered how the stories wrapped up. I'd like to wrap this thread to provide a more valuable resource for future applicants. I hope this proves useful for someone someday.

I received five interview invites in total, four of which I attended. The caliber of schools were all over the place, and I'm unsure how to characterize the metrics schools use to determine potential students. I'd guess its really about how your application strikes the persons reading your stuff. I was very nervous during my first two interviews - and these interviews resulted in two rejections. I was relaxed and myself during my last two interviews- and I received two outright acceptances. I canceled my fifth II which came in mid-February.

Takeaways - This process is very stressful, and it is just the start of a longer race. Keep positive thoughts and try to contribute to the world in whatever way you can - this shine will enrich your lives and the lives of those around you. Enjoy yourself and take time to smile. IIs keep coming until mid-February. Live outside the application cycle. Take the chance to explore the new cities you'll be visiting, and try to meet locals. Apply broadly, if possible.

Lastly, thank you for those who helped provide insight and guidance when I began this process. I was at a crossroads, and the gentle touch @Faha, @Goro, and @gyngyn gave me are exemplary cases of how we should all hope to approach our patients. The products @BerkReviewTeach advocates are super helpful, and their frank critique of their products convinced me to buy their books.

I am so utterly honored and humbled by your post. First and foremost congratulations on being accepted. While there is all sorts of randomness in the application process. there are many adcom people of have the uncanny ability to sift through page after page of applicant data and find the good people such as yourself. They found you!

Best of luck on the next phase of your journey.