School List help (ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Reapplicant*

Hi, I need some help picking schools. I'm from California, finished my undergrad and master's at a T20 R1 university. Weighing whether I want to apply MD/PhD. Does it hurt to apply, be rejected, and apply regular MD?

GPA: 3.7 overall, ~3.75-3.8 science (one C- in orgo 2, preceded by an A in orgo 1 and antecedent of an A in biochemistry. Rough semester)
-One B+ in my last 2 years of undergrad, rest A- or higher

MCAT: 513 (expired for many schools 128/127/128/130), studying for re-take and open to tips on CARS like whether or not using LSAT passages would be helpful

ECs:
clinical volunteering >300 hours, domestic and international (longitudinal, multiple years visiting the same site, using the local language, seeing the same patients, etc.)

shadowing >100 hours, parent in emergency medicine practicing in rural areas. I would like to shadow more in a structured environment but I have also interacted with radiologists, anesthesiologists, pathologists, and neurosurgeons through research and have had the chance to talk with them about their practice.

non-clinical volunteering >250 hours, various positions under a couple umbrella organizations. sat on some committees.

various teaching positions ages 8-21+, >200 hours. not a big fan of teaching but my students have given me good feedback in the past.

consulting (international competition + pro bono projects), >100 hours (interested in whether some schools would appreciate this, Bay Area? I am interested in creating medical devices and products and it is part of my interest in medical school)

research (volunteering + undergraduate honors thesis + graduate work), >2000 hours. Poster, presentation, abstract acceptance to international conference, research used to supplement a funded grant. Interested in interdisciplinary applications to clinical practice

graduate coursework: advanced biophotonics, immunology, nanomedicine

Schools:
All CA schools besides Riverside, knowledgeable that UCSF/UCSD/UCLA/Stanford are all reaches given my GPA/old MCAT and even Irvine/Davis would be a challenge. Highest preference would be attending in Northern California but I would be happy to attend medical school anywhere.

Beyond this I would need suggestions and that is why I am here.

Thanks for reading. It's a lot and not everything's included.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools applied to were half Californian, half insane reaches. I can't find the list but imagine the UCs plus some of the T20s you can think of have received a lackluster primary application from me in the past. 26 primaries sent out and ~10 secondaries completed.

No interviews --> no wait list (I was not surprised).

Worst case scenario I would receive scores in October.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Difficult to give you a list without your new MCAT score. You could apply to schools in June that still accept your previous 513. These are schools that you could receive interviews with your current stats. You will need to check with each school to see if they will accept your previous MCAT.
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Loma Linda
Kaiser
California University
California Northstate
UC Davis
UC Irvine

Hi @Faha, I have an updated MCAT score of 522 with otherwise no new updates. I have applied to numerous schools on your original list, but am looking to add some schools that could provide financial aid. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi @Faha, I have an updated MCAT score of 522 with otherwise no new updates. I have applied to numerous schools on your original list, but am looking to add some schools that could provide financial aid. Do you have any suggestions?
You could add these schools today with your higher MCAT:
NYU
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Dartmouth
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Miami