Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

School list help please. URM 3.7cGPA 3.7sGPA (just took MCAT but was scoring low-mid 30s)

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by drchris4791, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. drchris4791

drchris4791

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hey Everybody. I was hoping that I could get some feedback on my tentative school list.

I graduated from Fordham University last year and have been using my year off so far to study for the MCAT, teach, and volunteer. I am an NY resident and would like to stay in New York for medical school but its also been my dream to study and practice in California. I am also a Puerto Rican URM. I would appreciate any school suggestions or advice on applying in the northeast and in California (MD/DO). I am hoping I do as well on the MCAT as my practice exams suggested (33-35).

STATS/WORK/EC/VOLUNTEER
    Biology Major/ Philosophy Minor
    3 years as an active EMT (volunteer)
    Shadowed a Peds ER physician (~100 hours)
    Summer Undergraduate Mentorship Program at Einstein (Summer 2010)
    Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) at Einstein (Summer 2011)
    1 and a half year long independent research experience at Fordham University
    Summer Research experience abroad in Madrid, Spain at the Cajal Institute under a famous neuro P.I.
    Several conferences attended and posters presented
    Upcoming global health research project in Dublin, Ireland at Trinity College
    1 Semester teaching College Biology as apart of the STEP program (works with underserved students) paid
    College Strive Mentor(weekly 2014) (guiding Bronx students through the process of applying to 4-year colleges) (volunteer)
    Fordham Orientation Group Leader. 2 years mentoring and conducting small groups for freshman students (volunteer)
    Head Organic Chemistry Tutor. 2 years running orgo tutor organization on campus. tutored classroom sizes of about 100 students as well as tutoring students one on one. (Volunteer/ then paid)

SCHOOL LIST *tentative on MCAT score

nyu
    einstein
    mount sinai
    columbia *reach
    cornell *reach
    hofstra
    stony brook
    boston university
    georgetown
    ucla
    ucsd
    ucsf
    stanford *reach

Last edited: 05.19.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Which community do you represent?

4. drchris4791

drchris4791

I just updated the tread. I got excited and posted it too early. My father is Puerto Rican and my mother is Guyanese.

5. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    It is so hard to help you with a list without an MCAT score.
    How are your language skills? Venezolanos are not generally considered under-represented in medicine. Do you have evidence of commitment to service to the Boriqua community?

6. drchris4791

drchris4791

Do you have any suggestions based on the hope of a score of 33-35? My Spanish is rough. I lived and worked in Spain for three months last year so I can definitely get around. My father just never took the time to really teach me when I was younger. I practice everyday though when I communicate with my grandma and other relatives.

7. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    I'll wait for the real score!
    Without significant language skills or community involvement, you will not get much of a UIM boost, though.

8. drchris4791

drchris4791

My language skills do need improving. I practice everyday and I am on a communicative level at the moment. I am just not fluent. Under my experiences I put that I have worked with the underserved communities in the Bronx. I have two years mentoring and teaching students in the STEP program. I have volunteered time with high school students in the Bronx go through the college application process successfully. I have also participated in programs that had their research aimed in identifying disparities in health.

9. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    That's good.
    CA is a tough nut, even for Californians. I would go so far as to say that all the CA schools you have listed are reaches, even with a 35 MCAT. We are the country's largest exporter of successful pre-meds. 2/3's of our candidates actually leave the state to go to medical school.

10. drchris4791

drchris4791

First of all, thank you. I really appreciate the help. I understand that the UC schools are a very small chance but I just need to spend the money and take a shot and see. I would love to live and practice in California. Otherwise, I need to start rounding out my northeast choices. My list is pretty small so far.

About the ads