School List Help Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrabSlamBoot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on my school list. If it was too topheavy or not or if it was broad enough.

I have a 4.0 Science, and CGPA, and am a NC resident majoring in Biology.

MCAT- 33R (9PS 12VR 12BS)

As far as EC's go, I prefer not to describe them in depth in order to maintain some anonymity but I have over 500 hours of clinical experience (Shadowing and Volunteering). My shadowing does include Primary care along with various specialties and my clinical volunteering is over an extended period oftime. I've also gone on some service trips and hold leadership positions in myuniversities pre-health clubs. I've been a TA for a few semesters and have someresearch experience under my belt (no pubs) but poster presentation.

As far as LOR's go I feel as if I'll have 3 very strong ones and twostrong-->good ones. 3 from professors and 2 from physicians I shadowed.

List:
Brody SOM
UNC SOM
DUKE SOM (long shot)
Wake Forest
VCU
EVMS
Virginia Tech
Georgetown (long shot)
George Washington
Emory (long shot)
Albert Einstein
Jefferson Medical School
Drexel
Boston University
Temple

Someone told me I should expand to a list of 20-25 schools which I thought wasn't reasonable for both money and time reasons. So I was hoping to get some help from SDN'ers

Thanks for your help/opinions! And sorry i coulden't be more specific with my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on my school list. If it was too topheavy or not or if it was broad enough.

As far as EC's go, I prefer not to describe them in depth in order to maintain some anonymity but I have over 500 hours of clinical experience (Shadowing and Volunteering). My shadowing does include Primary care along with various specialties and my clinical volunteering is over an extended period oftime. I've also gone on some service trips and hold leadership positions in myuniversities pre-health clubs. I've been a TA for a few semesters and have someresearch experience under my belt (no pubs) but poster presentation.

As far as LOR's go I feel as if I'll have 3 very strong ones and twostrong-->good ones. 3 from professors and 2 from physicians I shadowed.

List:
Brody SOM
UNC SOM
DUKE SOM (long shot)
Wake Forest
VCU
EVMS
Virginia Tech
MUSC
Georgetown (long shot)
George Washington
Emory (long shot)
Albert Einstein

Someone told me I should expand to a list of 20-25 schools which I thought wasn't reasonable for both money and time reasons. So I was hoping to get some help from SDN'ers

Thanks for your help/opinions! And sorry i coulden't be more specific with my application.

your school list looks fine. I'd apply to more but it depends on your tolerance for risk.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)

List:
Brody SOM
UNC SOM
DUKE SOM (long shot)
Wake Forest
VCU
EVMS
Virginia Tech
MUSC
Georgetown (long shot)
George Washington
Emory (long shot)
Albert Einstein

Hey GrabSlamBoot!

Always happy to provide some input for fellow NC applicants. Reading your post is very promising, you seem 'enlightened' about the process and are being confident but humble in regards to your chances (which is always a good thing). You've got a great school list started! Few questions for you to help give my best opinion...

- Are you looking to stay in the Southeast? Or any particular geographic areas that you're interested in?
- Are you leaning towards a research or primary care oriented school or it doesn't really matter too much?
- Are you going to be in school in the fall or have you graduated? (this matters as far as your time commitment to your secondaries/interviews, etc.)

These will help give the best advice I can. On first look I would say that you've got some great schools of all tiers but could afford to add a few more and move that list closer to 16-20 schools. You have high enough stats to be looked at by some reach schools so if you have any dream schools it may be worth adding them. I also noticed you added all the VA schools except UVA, they also have a decent acceptance percentage for OOS although I know you would rather not pay OOS tuition, but it's more of a backup and a similar price to any private schools you're applying to.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey GrabSlamBoot!

Always happy to provide some input for fellow NC applicants. Reading your post is very promising, you seem 'enlightened' about the process and are being confident but humble in regards to your chances (which is always a good thing). You've got a great school list started! Few questions for you to help give my best opinion...

- Are you looking to stay in the Southeast? Or any particular geographic areas that you're interested in?
- Are you leaning towards a research or primary care oriented school or it doesn't really matter too much?
- Are you going to be in school in the fall or have you graduated? (this matters as far as your time commitment to your secondaries/interviews, etc.)

These will help give the best advice I can. On first look I would say that you've got some great schools of all tiers but could afford to add a few more and move that list closer to 16-20 schools. You have high enough stats to be looked at by some reach schools so if you have any dream schools it may be worth adding them. I also noticed you added all the VA schools except UVA, they also have a decent acceptance percentage for OOS although I know you would rather not pay OOS tuition, but it's more of a backup and a similar price to any private schools you're applying to.

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the advice. Yeah I am definitely interested in primary care seeing as I am from
Rural NC. As far as UVA goes I think my chances are too slim there. 35 median Mcat right? I ended up altering my list a bit. Removing MUSC and adding Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Boston, Temple, to give a total of 15 schools. I am in school this fall (just finished my 3rd year) so still one more left. Truthfully I'm really hoping to get a spot in my state schools but i know how random the whole process can be.

Location wise I just prefer East Coast. And research/ primary care schools, I do not have too strong of a preference for either I enjoy both aspects!

Thanks again you guys^^

Hey thanks for the advice. Yeah I am definitely interested in primary care seeing as I am from
Rural NC. As far as UVA goes I think my chances are too slim there. 35 median Mcat right? I ended up altering my list a bit. Removing MUSC and adding Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Boston, Temple, to give a total of 15 schools. I am in school this fall (just finished my 3rd year) so still one more left. Truthfully I'm really hoping to get a spot in my state schools but i know how random the whole process can be.

Location wise I just prefer East Coast. And research/ primary care schools, I do not have too strong of a preference for either I enjoy both aspects!

Thanks again you guys^^

Sounds like you've got a great idea of what you're looking for. Keep in mind that even if you sit around the median MCAT, having a 4.0 GPA will be a nice bonus even for the top tier schools. If you're content with the list I think you would have great success with it, don't sell yourself short though, 4.0/33 is very strong, I think you've got a good chance at some long shots (even though you're doing the smart thing applying to many others because they are 'long shots', plenty of people with your stats get accepted to them).

p.s. I'm matriculating at Brody if you have any specific questions for me, before/during/after your application/interview day feel free to let me know.

Sounds like you've got a great idea of what you're looking for. Keep in mind that even if you sit around the median MCAT, having a 4.0 GPA will be a nice bonus even for the top tier schools. If you're content with the list I think you would have great success with it, don't sell yourself short though, 4.0/33 is very strong, I think you've got a good chance at some long shots (even though you're doing the smart thing applying to many others because they are 'long shots', plenty of people with your stats get accepted to them).

p.s. I'm matriculating at Brody if you have any specific questions for me, before/during/after your application/interview day feel free to let me know.

Awesome. I'll be sure to add you and get in touch before the interview. Thanks!