School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cacahuetes757

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated, specifically looking for advice on whether I should consider applying to any top 20 schools.
  1. cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.98
  2. MCAT: 520 (129/128/132/131)
  3. State of residence: NY
  4. Race/ethnicity: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 50
  6. Clinical experience: 100 hrs at local hospital, will be doing more during my coming gap year (15-20 hrs per month)
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1000 hrs through summer internships, 300-400 from working in a lab at my university. No posters/publications.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hrs, various specialties
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hrs through my fraternity raising money/awareness for the American Cancer Society. Will be volunteering for a youth mentorship program during my gap year (4 hours per month).
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Started a student organization at my university related to social justice. Also several leadership positions within my fraternity. Working as MCAT tutor during my gap year.
Current School List: When making this list, I choose pretty much all schools in NY besides Columbia, as well as other schools in the northeast that seem OOS friendly and aren't super competitive. Open to considering schools that are not in the northeast, particularly in California.

Albany
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Buffalo
NYMC
NYU
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Rochester
Cornell
BU
Case Western
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Tufts
UVM
UVA
Brown
Georgetown
Temple
Seton Hall
Rosalind Franklin
Maryland
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad.

Any help would be appreciated, specifically looking for advice on whether I should consider applying to any top 20 schools.
  1. cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.98
  2. MCAT: 520 (129/128/132/131)
  3. State of residence: NY
  4. Race/ethnicity: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 50
  6. Clinical experience: 100 hrs at local hospital, will be doing more during my coming gap year (15-20 hrs per month)
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1000 hrs through summer internships, 300-400 from working in a lab at my university. No posters/publications.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hrs, various specialties
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hrs through my fraternity raising money/awareness for the American Cancer Society. Will be volunteering for a youth mentorship program during my gap year (4 hours per month).
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Started a student organization at my university related to social justice. Also several leadership positions within my fraternity. Working as MCAT tutor during my gap year.
Current School List: When making this list, I choose pretty much all schools in NY besides Columbia, as well as other schools in the northeast that seem OOS friendly and aren't super competitive. Open to considering schools that are not in the northeast, particularly in California.

Albany
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Buffalo
NYMC
NYU
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Rochester
Cornell
BU
Case Western
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Tufts
UVM
UVA
Brown
Georgetown
Temple
Seton Hall
Rosalind Franklin
Maryland
Kaiser
Non clinical volunteering may be an issue that you will try to address in your gap year. Do things outside your comfort zone and does not involve tutoring or teaching. Every premed does that in general, especially at the top tier.

Could you be more specific on your social justice organization? What were your goals and impact?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As is, that is a really solid school list. HOWEVER, if you can add like 50 more clinical hours and 100 more non-clinical volunteering hours BEFORE applying in May/June, it would make you significantly more competitive for Top 20 schools. It’s a bummer you don’t have any pubs/posters, but I still think you could snag a WashU or Pitt or Sinai or Cornell acceptance with more hours on your primary.

Non clinical volunteering may be an issue that you will try to address in your gap year. Do things outside your comfort zone and does not involve tutoring or teaching. Every premed does that in general, especially at the top tier.

Could you be more specific on your social justice organization? What were your goals and impact?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
It was an environmental organization, goal was to educate the campus and connect students who share this interest. We held events such as documentaries and hosting outside organizations to come speak.

Reactions: 1 user
It was an environmental organization, goal was to educate the campus and connect students who share this interest. We held events such as documentaries and hosting outside organizations to come speak.
Okay. For me, I can see the benefit of what you're doing; I encourage you to get help articulating the meaningfulness of this activity to convince others who will actually screen your application.

Okay. For me, I can see the benefit of what you're doing; I encourage you to get help articulating the meaningfulness of this activity to convince others who will actually screen your application.
Of course, I am trying to be vague for privacy reasons, but thanks for the advice I'll make sure to get that across in my application.