School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolek817

Reaction score
Hi! I graduated (Johns Hopkins) with a cGPA of 3.42 after only taking 2 premed classes. I had an upward trend, my last 3 semesters being 3.87, 3.93, and 4.0. I ended up doing a formal postbacc (USC) of 30 credits (Bio, O Chem 2 semesters, Gen chem 1 semester, Physics 2 semesters, Biochem 1 semester, Microbiology 1 quarter). I finished my post bacc with a 4.0. If I combine my cGPA from bacc and post bacc I have a 3.56, and sGPA 3.69. My MCAT score was a 521.

My advisor told me that the GPAs aren't combined. Does anyone know if one GPA is considered more strongly than the other? I'm really struggling with figuring out what my target schools are.

My extracurriculars include 2 years of Varsity sports in college, 1 year of clinical experience (paid full time), 1 semester of clinical research, 400+ hours of community service (plus 200 hours of scribing in a free clinic as a volunteer), and I will be a full time clinical research assistant for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I graduated (Johns Hopkins) with a cGPA of 3.42 after only taking 2 premed classes. I had an upward trend, my last 3 semesters being 3.87, 3.93, and 4.0. I ended up doing a formal postbacc (USC) of 30 credits (Bio, O Chem 2 semesters, Gen chem 1 semester, Physics 2 semesters, Biochem 1 semester, Microbiology 1 quarter). I finished my post bacc with a 4.0. If I combine my cGPA from bacc and post bacc I have a 3.56, and sGPA 3.69. My MCAT score was a 521.

My advisor told me that the GPAs aren't combined. Does anyone know if one GPA is considered more strongly than the other? I'm really struggling with figuring out what my target schools are.

My extracurriculars include 2 years of Varsity sports in college, 1 year of clinical experience (paid full time), 1 semester of clinical research, 400+ hours of community service (plus 200 hours of scribing in a free clinic as a volunteer), and I will be a full time clinical research assistant for this year.
I suggest the following:
Columbia

Vandy

Dartmouth

BU

Duke

Pitt

Mayo

Mt Sinai

Keck

UCSF

EVMS

U Miami

Hofstra

Emory

Jefferson

Drexel

Albany

Tufts

NYMC

Your state schools

Rush

Loyola

Rosy Franklin

Tulane

Wake

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Wayne State

Netter

NYU.LI

Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, how would you say was your postbacc experience at USC? Were the courses tough? Did you have good advising?

Your profile looks pretty good to me. I think postbacc is listed as a separate GPA but from what I've been told med schools will include that number into your uGPA. I think you should get an MD acceptance if you get a good MCAT score and interview well. But what is your MCAT score if you don't mind me asking? Hard to make a school list without it
I loved my USC post-bacc program. The advisors are very encouraging and knowledgeable, and the USC professors are excellent in setting students up well for the MCAT and teaching for long-term learning. Additionally, supplemental instruction was lead by students who had previously done well in the class and were super helpful.
My MCAT score was 521 (129/130/132/130)

Last edited: