neuronerd16

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys - So I just wanted some input on which schools to apply to. I realize that my numbers are really subpar but I'm applying this cycle and want the best shot possible for myself.
I prefer getting into an MD, but am willing to go the DO route as well. My understanding is though that DOs cannot practice quite as liberally outside the USA as MDs can and down the road this might turn into a problem for me. I'm also open suggestions on what to do if I get rejected from everything this cycle.
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Quick Info

Not an URM
Major
Neuropsyhology
Minors Fine Art, Medical Sciences
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 504 (64%) - 124, 128, 127, 125 (I'm retaking it this month)
EC They're average - nothing amazing.
State Ohio - I'm really lucky with my instate schools and have already applied to all of them. (7 schools so far)
In my personal opinion, strong PS & LoRs
School List that needs to be narrowed

I tried to do the best I could with MSAR & everything but honestly have no clue what I'm doing. Hoping to apply to 15-20 schools. While I'm willing to apply to more my concern is with the Secondaries. Also I tried to look this up but wanted to make sure none of these were super OOS unfriendly? Any advice is helpful :)
Albany Medical
Commonwealth
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Frank Netter
Georgetown
Hofstra Uni
Indian Univ
Loyla Uni
Michigan State
New York Medical
Oakland Uni
Rosaling Franklin
Cooper
Rush
Temple Uni
Thomas Jefferson
University of Illinois
Univ of Kentucky
Univ of Louisville
Univ of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Western Michigan

DO Schools I know even less about lol... this is more like a stab in the dark. I'd like to apply to fewer DO schools if possible (to save $) but whatever it takes.
CCOM
MSUCOM
OSUCOM
PNWU-COM
COMP Northwest
PCOM

Thanks again so much for your time & effort!

Last edited:

Cardboard101

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Your chances for MD are very low and your Ohio schools (except Case) are your best chance for an interview. You can delete Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State, Cooper and Illinois since those are state schools that strongly prefer their own residents. Realistically you should be concentrating on DO instead and consider these schools where your stats may result in an interview:
OSU-COM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
BCOM
LECOM (PA and FL)

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Go DO, MD is a waste of your time and money.

Reactions: Goro

The_Bird

OvO
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Your numbers are lethal for MD schools, but fine for any DO program, including mine.

If you're boning for the MD, aceing an SMP (GPA > 3.6) and MCAT > 33 on old scale) are in order.

Hey guys - So I just wanted some input on which schools to apply to. I realize that my numbers are really subpar but I'm applying this cycle and want the best shot possible for myself.
I prefer getting into an MD, but am willing to go the DO route as well. My understanding is though that DOs cannot practice quite as liberally outside the USA as MDs can and down the road this might turn into a problem for me. I'm also open suggestions on what to do if I get rejected from everything this cycle.
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Quick Info

Not an URM
Major
Neuropsyhology
Minors Fine Art, Medical Sciences
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 504 (64%) - 124, 128, 127, 125 (I'm retaking it this month - and while of course this is all speculation I might be able to land around a 507/75% according to practice tests so far)
EC They're average - nothing amazing.
State Ohio - I'm really lucky with my instate schools and have already applied to all of them. (7 schools so far)
In my personal opinion, strong PS & LoRs
School List that needs to be narrowed

I tried to do the best I could with MSAR & everything but honestly have no clue what I'm doing. Hoping to apply to 15-20 schools. While I'm willing to apply to more my concern is with the Secondaries. Also I tried to look this up but wanted to make sure none of these were super OOS unfriendly? Any advice is helpful :)
Albany Medical
Commonwealth
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Frank Netter
Georgetown
Hofstra Uni
Indian Univ
Loyla Uni
Michigan State
New York Medical
Oakland Uni
Rosaling Franklin
Cooper
Rush
Temple Uni
Thomas Jefferson
University of Illinois
Univ of Kentucky
Univ of Louisville
Univ of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Western Michigan

DO Schools I know even less about lol... this is more like a stab in the dark. I'd like to apply to fewer DO schools if possible (to save $) but whatever it takes.
CCOM
MSUCOM
OSUCOM
PNWU-COM
COMP Northwest
PCOM

Expanded Info (not really important but incase it is)
Major
This is basically a Psychology major - I take the exact same classes as a pysch kid but on top of that I also take Freshmen bio & chem and the Fundamentals of Neuro sequence at our school. I'm also in my schools Honors program if that matters.
Minors The Medical sciences minor is offered as a joint effort with the COM at our university - it's supposed to be classes that help prepare you for medical school which otherwise are not taught. All the faculty are from the COM. The Art college at my university is pretty good - this minor is no joke @ 34 credit hours.
cGPA It has a generally upward trend. My Freshman year was alright - I didn't put in the full effort but got away with everything except for Gen Chem. Roughly ~3.6. Sophomore year was the killer year for me, about ~2.8 then ~3.2. My art minor was ferocious and time consuming, I never had the time to properly dedicate to Ochem & research was a 15 hr/week gig that also put a strain on me. I mean it's all just excuses - I should've handled it but I didn't. Junior year ~3.6 (with art classes) then 3.9 (no art classes). I've taken full course loads through college: 16-19 hours. Thus far I have 110 hours. With no art classes for this semester I think I can pull close to the 3.9 again - but that's just speculation of course.
sGPA Fuced up on Gen Chem & then Ochem (B/B-s) & took the Medical Biochem offered through the minor during the summer - worst idea ever - C-. I'm re-taking the class this upcoming year. Most other upper sciences courses A-/A
MCAT Again it's just excuses but I was fasting on the day of the exam(unplanned). By the time the Psych section rolled around at 2pm I had gone without food & drink for 10 hours and kept falling asleep. With focus hopefully this section can be closer to my practice exams (~80%).
EC Medical Volunteering ~300 Children's Hospital Volunteer
Non-Medical Volunteering over 600 hours I'd have to check but 5 years Sunday School teacher, Inner city kids tutor, conservatory art volunteer etc.
Research Neuroscience lab - two publications & poster presentation. Also Family Medicine lab (clinical research)
Shadowing ~100 hours (varied)
Leadership Marketing Director then Vice President of student organization, general member of others

Circumstances: Again this probably doesn't matter but I'm a commuter (40 min drive one way no traffic) and both of my parents are working. I have a 2 year old sister (Freshman year) that I had to babysit a lot until my parents came home at night. No other family in the area. My parents don't have set schedules so often I didn't know when/how long I had to take care of her for and just squeezed in homework time when I could.

I tried to hit everything so that you guys have all the information you could need + more lol. Hopefully thats all?

Thanks again so much for your time & effort!

Reactions: J Senpai

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Wouldn't recommend applying to any MD schools other than Toledo, Northeast Ohio and Wright State. And even those are all long shots. Re-taking the MCAT and getting 75th percentile(if that is what you get) isn't really going to do anything for you.

OP
neuronerd16

neuronerd16

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Okay thanks for all the help! I appreciate it.
From what I know osteopathic medicine in England is only manipulation - so anyone off the British system seems to not give DOs full medical licensing - but thanks for the map and I'll do more research on that.
I already have all the Ohio schools in - guess I'll just dig deeper into DO schools then. And yes, one of my letters of rec are from an MD - I'll try and shadow a DO and see if I can perhaps get a LoR.
So basically there's no point in an MCAT retake unless its 514+?
Also sorry this must be covered extensively elsewhere but do SMP not post-bacc if I wanted to go that route?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Okay thanks for all the help! I appreciate it.
From what I know osteopathic medicine in England is only manipulation - so anyone off the British system seems to not give DOs full medical licensing - but thanks for the map and I'll do more research on that.
I already have all the Ohio schools in - guess I'll just dig deeper into DO schools then. And yes, one of my letters of rec are from an MD - I'll try and shadow a DO and see if I can perhaps get a LoR.
So basically there's no point in an MCAT retake unless its 514+?
Also sorry this must be covered extensively elsewhere but do SMP not post-bacc if I wanted to go that route?
If you are really boning for the MD you will need a significantly higher MCAT score on the re-take. 85th+ percentile is really what you want to strive for(the higher the better 34+ equivalent on the new test would really help your cause). With one well below average score on your record for MD's, the standards are somewhat higher this time around for what is good enough for you for MD purposes.

If you can make that happen the SMP is the fastest route to getting into an MD school. But it is also the hardest and riskiest route. I will emphasize the SMP route is really only for those who are boning for an MD so badly they would rather not be a doctor than be a DO(because your stats are sufficient for DO's). Why do I say that? Do poorly in an SMP and boom any hopes MD or DO are gone. It is also really hard to get the type of GPA MD schools want from an SMP(3.6+) and requires beating the majority of actual medical students in their classes. Much easier said than done. A post-bac is a much easier way to do well and if you do it for a year you can probably get your GPA in the 3.5 range. That with a solid MCAT score gives you a chance. Note your chances wouldn't be as high doing this route as they would acing an SMP but acing an SMP is alot harder and riskier.

So those are your main options. Clearly, DO is the most feasible and realistic; making major MCAT improvements is not common and beating the majority of medical students in their classes(which is what acing an SMP entails) is also a very very difficult thing to do. And all this SMP vs post-bacc talk is moot if you don't make real improvement on a 27 equivalent MCAT.