School list MCAT 36 cGPA 3.78 sGPA 3.77

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milski

1K member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says - I'm looking for a bit of help with picking up schools. Just using the MCAT/GPA data seems to make a list that's too top heavy and I needs some ideas for more realistic options.

I am a non-traditional applicant with a previous non-medically related career. Currently finishing my first undergraduate degree.

cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.77
MCAT: 36
About a year and a half clinical volunteering
Shadowing around 50 hours, 1 IM and 1 ER
Various technical and people leadership from previous jobs

WA resident for the last 15 years but the rest of my family is in NYC.

One state school (UW) and I'm certainly applying there.

Reach schools:
Columbia
Cornell
UCSF
Standford

More realistic:
Mount Sinai
NYU
Einstein
Tufts
George Washington
University of Washington (in state)
Oregon
Colorado
Creighton
Albany
Temple
Jefferson

That seems a bit short... or maybe I don't need more?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're looking for safeties, check out ros Franklin, Loyola Chicago, and ny medical college. for schools on par with your stats, Ohio State and university of Michigan are both oos friendly.

we've very similar stats and backgrounds. hope to see you on the trail!

if you're looking for safeties, check out ros Franklin, Loyola Chicago, and ny medical college. for schools on par with your stats, Ohio State and university of Michigan are both oos friendly.

we've very similar stats and backgrounds. hope to see you on the trail!

Loyola is not my cup of tea, religion-wise. Or am I confusing them with Loma Linda? Either way, I'm somewhat ambivalent about Chicago itself. I'll check out Ohio & UMich, especially with Colorado probably dropping from the list - they seem to expect more community service that I have. Although I don't know if that's a good reason not to try there...

Same background is actually cool, I'm a bit tired of being the black swan in college the last 3 years. What did you do before becoming a pre-med? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Loyola is Jesuit but it doesn't really affect anything. I hear it is just like any other medical school. Loma Linda is what you're thinking of, with the religious classes and weekly sermons.

I think your list looks good. Applying to 'safeties' is usually a good idea, but also generally of limited utility as most will see your application and know you are applying to them merely as safeties. Ideally you would apply to as many 'target' schools as possible.

Without some research, those 'reach' schools will unfortunately stay somewhat firmly out of reach, unless you have some other EC's that you have hidden from us.

Good list. I'd add all of the schools in NY state, PA, and Chicago.

As the title says - I'm looking for a bit of help with picking up schools. Just using the MCAT/GPA data seems to make a list that's too top heavy and I needs some ideas for more realistic options.

I am a non-traditional applicant with a previous non-medically related career. Currently finishing my first undergraduate degree.

cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.77
MCAT: 36
About a year and a half clinical volunteering
Shadowing around 50 hours, 1 IM and 1 ER
Various technical and people leadership from previous jobs

WA resident for the last 15 years but the rest of my family is in NYC.

One state school (UW) and I'm certainly applying there.

Reach schools:
Columbia
Cornell
UCSF
Standford

More realistic:
Mount Sinai
NYU
Einstein
Tufts
George Washington
University of Washington (in state)
Oregon
Colorado
Creighton
Albany
Temple
Jefferson

That seems a bit short... or maybe I don't need more?

I think your list looks good. Applying to 'safeties' is usually a good idea, but also generally of limited utility as most will see your application and know you are applying to them merely as safeties. Ideally you would apply to as many 'target' schools as possible.

Without some research, those 'reach' schools will unfortunately stay somewhat firmly out of reach, unless you have some other EC's that you have hidden from us.

Yes, the lack of research is what bothers me with applying to my 'target' schools - I might have the general numbers but that will probably hold me back somewhat. I am trying to get some research over the summer (which I need to graduate anyway) but I'm not sure if I'll have anything to write about by the time I'll submit my application.

I also have some research-like activities from my software. By research-like I mean that there was definitely an element of having a hypothesis, creating an experiment, measuring results and making conclusions but that would normally result in proprietary technologies and not a publication/article. No idea if that's worth anything at all from admission perspective.

Good list. I'd add all of the schools in NY state, PA, and Chicago.

That's easily 12 school, all of them with or around 50% in state matriculants which is more or less what I'm looking for. Thanks for the idea, I'll certainly add some of those.