MD School List : non-science major, CA resident, Asian, 520 MCAT, 3.75 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wandress

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
***PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE***

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some objective feedback on my list as well as my chances. Should I be taking a gap year to get more clinical experience? I'm very open to suggestions; I just don't really know where to start.
  1. Major: double major in global health/ sociology and non-profits
  2. cGPA: 3.75, sGPA: 3.6
  3. MCAT: 520 total- 129 (C/P), 131 (CARS), 130 (BB), 130 (P/S)
  4. State of residence: CA
  5. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  6. Undergraduate institution or category: large university, top 25
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. volunteering at city hospital (50 hours, ongoing)
  8. Research experience and productivity
    1. paper/presentation of qualitative research about HIV/sex workers at national conference
    2. HIV/homeless youth research (70 hours)
    3. senior thesis (next year)
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. shadowing in Indonesia- psychiatry, ER, OBGYN, internal medicine, general medicine, radiology, neurology, physical rehabilitation (100+ hours)
    2. shadowing mobile clinics in Peru-OBGYN, general medicine (20 hours)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. service organization (300 hours, ongoing)
      1. have worked with various homeless shelters, elementary schools, and non-profits through this organization
    2. alternative spring break to Mexico (144 hours)
  11. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. internship at non-profit that works with foster youth on mental health and other needs (100 hours by end of this semester)
    2. Resident Assistant (1 year)
    3. student council for pre-health students (3 years, ongoing)- vice president, running for president this semester
    4. secretary for mobile clinic student organization (1 semester, will continue term to end of senior year)
    5. Building government president (1 year)
  12. Relevant honors or awards
    1. university fellowship to do a health internship in Asia this summer for 10 weeks
    2. merit scholarship
  13. Other: I'm from the Inland Empire, so that's why UCR is on here. I'm interested in working with underserved populations, so let me know if there is a mission-based school that isn't on here that I should apply to! I'm also interested in global health, so if there are any good global health programs that are not on this list, please let me know.
  14. Possible School List :
    • California
      • UCLA Drew
      • UCR
      • USC Keck SOM
      • UC Davis
      • UCI
      • UCSD
      • Loma Linda?
      • UCLA Geffen
      • Stanford
      • UCSF
    • Out of State
      • Rosalind Franklin
      • Drexel
      • Quinnipiac
      • Penn State
      • Georgetown
      • Wake Forest
      • NY Medical College
      • Tulane
      • Ohio State
      • Boston University
      • Tufts
      • Brown
      • Albert Einstein
      • Emory
      • Duke
      • Harvard
      • Johns Hopkins
      • Yale
      • University of Pennsylvania

Members don't see this ad.

I would remove brown. Rosalind Franklin, nymc. And Georgetown.i would add UVA, umich,and any other schools you would like.

I would remove brown. Rosalind Franklin, nymc. And Georgetown.i would add UVA, umich,and any other schools you would like.
Thanks so much for the reply! Can I ask if there was a specific reason behind recommending UVA and umich? I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that state schools would be a lot more competitive to get into as an OOS applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the reply! Can I ask if there was a specific reason behind recommending UVA and umich? I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that state schools would be a lot more competitive to get into as an OOS applicant.
Honestly those two just came up in my mind. Your stats match their matriculating students and they are excellent schools. They are in your sweet spot and take plenty of OOS students
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Yale
Northwestern University FeinBberg
U of Pittsburgh
Columbia
Pritzker Chicago
Case Western
Boston
NYU
U of Michigan
Weill Cornell
U of Virginia
Duke
Icahn
Einstein
Unversity of Colorado School of Medicine
Dartmouth
U of Vermont
Albany
U of Miami
St Louis
Emory
Mayo
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Hofstra
U of Rochester
University of Cincinnati
loyola
University of Iowa

Reactions: 2 users
Einstein sounds like a great fit for your interests. If you can see yourself living in NYC, I definitely recommend adding Sinai, NYU, and/or Columbia (perhaps instead of New York Medical College which is outside of the city) to your list. All three schools have numerous global health programs + opportunities to serve underserved urban populations: Columbia in Washington Heights; Sinai in East Harlem; and NYU through Bellevue (NYC's public hospital which serves many of NYC's homeless if that's a particular interest).

Reactions: 1 user
Einstein sounds like a great fit for your interests. If you can see yourself living in NYC, I definitely recommend adding Sinai, NYU, and/or Columbia (perhaps instead of New York Medical College which is outside of the city) to your list. All three schools have numerous global health programs + opportunities to serve underserved urban populations: Columbia in Washington Heights; Sinai in East Harlem; and NYU through Bellevue (NYC's public hospital which serves many of NYC's homeless if that's a particular interest).
Thank you :) I'll definitely take a further look at these schools.