School list - Non trad URM 516

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishermanDon99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help on what schools I should consider adding or eliminating from my list. uGPA is likely around 3.45 sGPA around the same but strong upward trend, with masters in microbiology gpa 3.78. 516 mcat - 127,128,131,130. My state is FL, I have low research experience, strong leadership including creating a pipeline mentorship program, TA for science course, volunteering with underserved populations, volunteered in a free clinic, and volunteering in hospice. Hispanic male.

Mayo
USC
Brown
Einstein
Dartmouth
UFlorida
UMiami
SUNY DT
Tulane
Emory
UIllinois
Georgetown
George Washington
Other in-states

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Deff apply to all the Florida schools. Emory loves research so that might be a reach for you. I think Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo, and USC might also be unrealistic as well. Those types of schools really like research. They’re looking for people who want to change the way medicine is practiced. All the FL schools will love your EC list though. Good luck!

Deff apply to all the Florida schools. Emory loves research so that might be a reach for you. I think Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo, and USC might also be unrealistic as well. Those types of schools really like research. They’re looking for people who want to change the way medicine is practiced. All the FL schools will love your EC list though. Good luck!
Those are in fact my reaches, would you recommend other reach schools instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for some help on what schools I should consider adding or eliminating from my list. uGPA is likely around 3.45 sGPA around the same but strong upward trend, with masters in microbiology gpa 3.78. 516 mcat - 127,128,131,130. My state is FL, I have low research experience, strong leadership including creating a pipeline mentorship program, TA for science course, volunteering with underserved populations, volunteered in a free clinic, and volunteering in hospice. Hispanic male.

Mayo
USC
Brown
Einstein
Dartmouth
UFlorida
UMiami
SUNY DT
Tulane
Emory
UIllinois
Georgetown
George Washington
Other in-states
I suggest:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSD,
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani and all other FL schools, including NovaMD
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSD,
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani and all other FL schools, including NovaMD
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
Thank you for the feedback! I was under the impression that the UC school system was almost impossible to get into from OOS. Also, a lot of these schools have high stats would you consider most of these reaches or realistic?

Listen to the wise Goro ^^

Which Hispanic community?
Colombian! I am a native speaker, and I lived there for 4 years as a teenager. My work in the underrepresented communities included working to provide DACA students resources, and in clinical settings I worked as an interpreter.

Reactions: 1 user
Colombian! I am a native speaker, and I lived there for 4 years as a teenager. My work in the underrepresented communities included working to provide DACA students resources, and in clinical settings I worked as an interpreter.
South Americans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine.
You have a very good MCAT score and still add diversity, though.

South Americans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine.
You have a very good MCAT score and still add diversity, though.
Thank you for the feedback. I am also half egyptian and first-gen college student. Any additional comments on @Goro list?

Bilingual, specifically Spanish, is also a very good thing (I think?) Doesn’t that open up the Puerto Rican schools to you?

why would i consider puerto rican schools?
I might be speaking incorrectly - it might not be Puerto Rican. There are a handful of schools that you can apply to through AMCAS that require Spanish speaking. @Goro @gyngyn Can you help me clarify?

I might be speaking incorrectly - it might not be Puerto Rican. There are a handful of schools that you can apply to through AMCAS that require Spanish speaking. @Goro @gyngyn Can you help me clarify?
The three PR schools that take mainlanders are LCME accredited and use Spanish in their curriculum. These are US med schools!