MD School list strategy/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroscifan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the strategy portion of the application process, and I'm not sure how best to utilize it because I understand that strategy is vital to the admissions process. I'm trying to be efficient as far as the costs of applying is concerned, but I don't want to apply to too few and risk not getting accepted. How do you go about deciding what schools to apply to? I don't know how many schools to apply to, and my strategy so far has just been to look up ranking lists on my interests (research and surgery). I only have one in-state option as an Oregon resident, and my dream is to go to Harvard. I've been told I'm a strong candidate but I'm really hoping to get into a top tier school to give myself the most freedom as far as being competitive in matching into residencies is concerned. I'm very hopeful to get scholarships, and would go to any school really that offered the best financial aid.

My stats are as follows:
MCAT 526
GPA 4.0, SGPA 4.0
Leadership out my nose (3 years of tutoring, TA'ing, supervising at work, etc.)
clinical work ~800hrs
volunteering ~400hrs
research ~800hrs including preliminary work on a project that will hopefully be submitted for publishing this year.
Shadowing ~45hrs with neurosurgeons and family practice

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oregon
Harvard
Yale
Mount Sinai
Rochester
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Johns Hopkins
U Michigan
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Washington University
U Chicago
Northwestern
Baylor
UCSF
UCLA
USC Keck

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oregon
Harvard
Yale
Mount Sinai
Rochester
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Johns Hopkins
U Michigan
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Washington University
U Chicago
Northwestern
Baylor
UCSF
UCLA
USC Keck

I was interested in the Mayo Clinic as well. What aspects of my application could be improved to be more competitive there? Thanks for your help!