School list suggestions? URM, 3.65, 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nathan17182

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just got my MCAT score back and I wanted to ask again for some schools that I should apply to. Here's my stats:
  1. cGPA - 3.65, sGPA ~3.5
  2. MCAT: 510
  3. State of Residence: Indiana
  4. URM - African American (also applying disadvantaged)
  5. Clinical experience: ~90 hours (I am currently interviewing for a volunteer program at a hospital)
  6. Research experience: 2 poster presentations. 2nd author on paper currently in review. 2 summer research programs. ~720 hours
  7. Shadowing experience: ~30 hours with Bariatric Surgeon, saw 4 surgeries, 6 endoscopies, and a day of office work/general appointments.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: ~120
  9. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. RA for 50 residents during Sophomore year.
    2. 3 years on Student Board that represents our schools foundation (Vice President next year)
    3. TA for 1 semester.
    4. Member of Department of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advisory Group - met with Dean to give recommendations about the department.
  10. Relevant honors or awards: Semester Honors and Dean List every semester. Received Competitive scholarship in high school. 3 consecutive awards from Black Caucus of Faculty and Staff for academics, service, and leadership.
The last school list I was suggested was:

Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia

Are there any other schools I should consider applying to? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

African American applicants are in high demand and you have more than decent stats, I would suggest throwing in some top 20's into your mix.

Members don't see this ad :)
African American applicants are in high demand and you have more than decent stats, I would suggest throwing in some top 20's into your mix.

Is there any specific ones you'd recommend? I was thinking Northwestern and UChicago since they're in the midwest. I just have trouble gauging where I'd have a chance based off rankings and MSAR. Thanks!

Hi! I just got my MCAT score back and I wanted to ask again for some schools that I should apply to. Here's my stats:
  1. cGPA - 3.65, sGPA ~3.5
  2. MCAT: 510
  3. State of Residence: Indiana
  4. URM - African American (also applying disadvantaged)
  5. Clinical experience: ~90 hours (I am currently interviewing for a volunteer program at a hospital)
  6. Research experience: 2 poster presentations. 2nd author on paper currently in review. 2 summer research programs. ~720 hours
  7. Shadowing experience: ~30 hours with Bariatric Surgeon, saw 4 surgeries, 6 endoscopies, and a day of office work/general appointments.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: ~120
  9. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. RA for 50 residents during Sophomore year.
    2. 3 years on Student Board that represents our schools foundation (Vice President next year)
    3. TA for 1 semester.
    4. Member of Department of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advisory Group - met with Dean to give recommendations about the department.
  10. Relevant honors or awards: Semester Honors and Dean List every semester. Received Competitive scholarship in high school. 3 consecutive awards from Black Caucus of Faculty and Staff for academics, service, and leadership.
The last school list I was suggested was:

Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia

Are there any other schools I should consider applying to? Thank you!
I agree with the above posters that you should be aiming higher!

Is there any specific ones you'd recommend? I was thinking Northwestern and UChicago since they're in the midwest. I just have trouble gauging where I'd have a chance based off rankings and MSAR. Thanks!
Go for which ever top 20's look good to you. If you're interested in staying in the midwest, then the ones you suggested are good choices. I'd throw in more than just 2 though...like maybe 5 or 8 of them. I think you are seriously underestimating how in demand you may be...do not pass up the opportunity to reach for the stars.

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha @Toutie @Goro

I just wanted to thank you guys for the support with my list and the suggestions to add schools. I am currently at 6/7 for acceptances and waiting to hear from the last place and I will be attending UChicago on a 75% tuition scholarship!! Never would have thought that I’d be saying that. Thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: 2 users
@Faha @Toutie @Goro

I just wanted to thank you guys for the support with my list and the suggestions to add schools. I am currently at 6/7 for acceptances and waiting to hear from the last place and I will be attending UChicago on a 75% tuition scholarship!! Never would have thought that I’d be saying that. Thanks again for the advice!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::love::love::love::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps::claps::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana:

@Faha @Toutie @Goro

Fantastic! Congrats! :claps::claps::claps: