MD School List/ WAMC (Atypical Stats)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Day1dreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:

GPA: 3.54 cGPA, 3.48 BCPM GPA from a Tier 1 institution (Notorious for grade deflation)
MCAT: 520 (131, 130, 130, 129)

Florida Resident, non-URM.

Research: Strong oncology research background (5 years total, 3 years in my current lab) with one publication.
Clinical Experience: 300 hours of shadowing, 100 hours as a volunteer scribe. Looking to expand upon these experiences in my gap year.
EC's: Dance team captain, admissions volunteer, brother in a service fraternity, helped create and run a healthcare NGO, etc.

I know I did not go into EC's too much, but my main concern is that with a MCAT >90 Percentile and a GPA that tends to fall at the 10th Percentile at most schools I am not sure where to apply. Ie: Do I even have a shot at a school like Emory? My current (very long) list includes the following:

MD:

In state:

U Miami
U Florida
UCF
USF
FSU
FIU
FAU

Out of State:
Mayo
University of Rochester
EVMS
UNC
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Penn State
U Arizona
U Vermont
V tech
Wake Forest
Loyola Stritch
Rush Medical Center
Tulane

Reach:
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Ohio State
USC
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
Tufts
U Cinci
UMD
U Pitt
St. Louis University

Really hoping some of the veterans of SDN can help me out here, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Your Florida schools are where your best chances are but you should receive some OOS interviews also.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the honest feedback Faha! Honestly I'm most interested in if I have an outside shot at places like Emory, Tufts, Mayo, Brown, etc. Hoping for some more input! @gyngyn I've been looking at your responses to WAMC posts for years. If you have any advice I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the honest feedback Faha! Honestly I'm most interested in if I have an outside shot at places like Emory, Tufts, Mayo, Brown, etc. Hoping for some more input! @gyngyn I've been looking at your responses to WAMC posts for years. If you have any advice I would really appreciate it!
You should get plenty of interviews!
Mayo and Brown are too idiosyncratic to make odds for, though.

You should get plenty of interviews!
Mayo and Brown are too idiosyncratic to make odds for, though.

Yeah looking at some of the acceptances they have there seem to be no rhyme or reason with those schools. Thanks again for all the help!

For Emory you are at their 90th percentile for MCAT, and for their GPA you are at about their bottom 25 percentile. You definitely have a shot. Keep up volunteering both clinical and nonclinical and you should receive several interviews from the schools on your list both from your in-state and the out-of-state schools on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree 100 % with my learned colleagues.
If "notorious for grade deflation" is code for "Caltech, MIT, or Princeton" she's got a shot at top 20 schools, with her stats and ECs.

Never, ever assume that Adcom members know what schools grade inflate or deflate.
Huh. I read elsewhere that if you had a degree from Caltech, it meant something; thanks for correcting me.

Not going to reveal my institution so as to stay as private as possible. I also agree with Goro, assuming is never a good idea. This is why I reached out to adcoms at a handful of my state school. They are the ones who called my institution "tier one" and expressed that they understood the rigor of the coursework at the school. Data from the pre-professional office also show that the average GPA of applicants accepted from this undergraduate institution were significantly lower than the national average. No excuse for my low GPA but hopefully it'll help!