School List/WAMC: Reinvention/Nontrad Applicant 3.26uGPA, 3.86pbGPA (52 credits), 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted615211

Hello All,

Non-traditional applicant that underwent the post-bacc process over the last couple of years. Applied last year but was a bit overconfident and went all in on MD/PhD programs due to my research experience (At the time, I had a publication pending, and 2 patents in filing, which have all been published unfortunately well after the application cycle).

Getting down to it stats:

The numbers:
uGPA: 3.26 (this was close to a decade ago, I was immature and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life).
postbacc GPA: 3.86 at HES, with sponsorship letter
MCAT: 517 pretty balanced (129/128/130/130)

Extracurriculars:
Clinical
Shadowing: 20 hrs as an EMT
Research/Clinical Work: 350 hrs with a publication (Urology study)
EMT: Onsite medical response at work, Medical Reserve Corps (400 hrs cummulative)

Research
Industry research experience: 20,000+ hours
3 Patents to my name, with 1 additional patent pending
2x external presentations, with an additional presentation pending (If it ends up happening w/ COVID19), all at prestigious national conferences

Volunteering
Special Olympics Coach: 350 hours
Running club Track Coach: 1500 hours
Anti-Domestic Violence Community Advocacy: 3300 hours
helped successfully lobby for an anti-bullying bill, involving testifying at the statehouse
USO volunteer: 50 hours (just started until COVID started)
Medical Reserve Corps: 100 hours of public health service work including a recent ring vaccination campaign
I've been heavily involved with my community with unabridged service since the age of 14

Other Accomplishments
Endurance athlete qualifying for the 2020 Western States 100 miler
1st place in age-group and 3rd place overall for USA track & field 200m in 2019 (regionally haha I'm not Usain bolt)

School List (Currently waitlisted at USUHS):
I pretty much plan on applying to all the schools on Goro's reinvention list
Dartmouth
UCSF
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (spoke with CAPT Liotta, he said he'll work with me on my application if I don't get in this year).
Nova MD

I'm inquiring if there's any other schools I should consider on my list. I think my mistake last year was putting in my application a bit late (early-mid July) and batting way above my weight-class, just too many MD/PhDs (while I did get secondaries, I think I was too scatterbrained in my research focus, I'm heavily ChemE research those are where I have patented new technologies). I think this year I'm going to be a bit more reserved, and focused on getting into an MD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ? Your shadowing hours are also low.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ? Your shadowing hours are also low.

Unfortunately I think that's where I'm lacking... I have a lot of public health experience though which I'm hoping will substitute. My clinical research which resulted in a publication was completed through volunteering, my equivalent role would be that of a typical clinical research coordinator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck on the USUHS waitlist. As I stands, your medical reserve corps experience may compensate for lack of shadowing, but that is not a guarantee for everyone. You have a lot of variety with non-clinical community service so that helps you too.

Any thoughts on the school list should I have to reapply? I intend on getting the application through so that I'll be verified earlier this year.

Schools such as Creighton, Loyola, St Louis, Georgetown and Rush are looking for applicants with many hundreds of hours of clinical exposure so remove those. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UHUHS
UMass
Tufts
BU
Dartmouth
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM

Schools such as Creighton, Loyola, St Louis, Georgetown and Rush are looking for applicants with many hundreds of hours of clinical exposure so remove those. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UHUHS
UMass
Tufts
BU
Dartmouth
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM

I have family ties to UNC Chapel Hill, as my uncle is a professor there and my cousins attended the University. Would that be worth trying to apply to as well?

I have family ties to UNC Chapel Hill, as my uncle is a professor there and my cousins attended the University. Would that be worth trying to apply to as well?
No, you need a personal connection to North Carolina, such as attending UNC for undergraduate school or you grew up there and graduated from high school.

No, you need a personal connection to North Carolina, such as attending UNC for undergraduate school or you grew up there and graduated from high school.

Thanks for the advice!

Do you know if it's worth a shot applying to any research heavy institutions given my research background?

Thanks for the advice!

Do you know if it's worth a shot applying to any research heavy institutions given my research background?
If you know of any that you did not apply to previously it may be worth it but I am not familiar with the emphasis that any particular school places on research.

Hello All,

Nsince

School List (Currently waitlisted at USUHS):
I pretty much plan on applying to all the schools on Goro's reinvention list
Dartmouth
UCSF
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (spoke with CAPT Liotta, he said he'll work with me on my application if I don't get in this year).
Nova MD
, I think I was
List is fine, but you still need some DO schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 users