School list/WAMC URM, 508 Unbalanced, 3.72 GPA, Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr lastimpression

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm coming from a very small 4-year school where I did not have any prehealth advising, a prehealth committee, or any mentor to help out with the process. I'm looking for help with a school list (with maybe 2-5 reaches) and my chances this cycle. Also, I wouldn't be able to retake this year because of work/other obligations. I haven't seen much about CARS/subsection screens, but a lot of MD schools do not have that low of a CARS in their 10th percentile in MSAR. My WARS score is an 80 and LizzyM is 67.2

If a retake is needed, should I do an SMP or DIY postbac during that extra time too for the next cycle? I would be 3 years out of school at that time if I did and I would plan to do it for ECs/research/academics.

State/Country of Residence: Georgia, hope to stay in-state or go to Florida
Ties to other States/Regions: Florida/NY through family
Year in School: Graduated
Ethnicity: AA/Haitian
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Major: Biology with a "concentration" in Biochemistry (concentration is really just advanced biochemistry, analytical, and physical chemistry added + research). Graduated with the Honors Program
Graduate Degrees (if applicable): None
Cumulative GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.6
MCAT Score(s): 508 (127/123/128/130)

Research Experience: 1 small research project at home school in behavioral genetics, UAB biomedical research internship doing x-ray crystallography ~50 hrs/week w/presentation, ABRCMS research award and poster presentation
Physician Shadowing: 150+ hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100-120 hours nondedicated, spread out

Other Extracurricular Activities: Nationally ranked athlete (top 20), well over 6000 hours of training since the start. Collegiate, national, and state records broken. President of a prehealth club my senior year, officer in a League of Legends Club.

Other Employment History: ~1000 hours as a medical scribe, cut granite/operated forklifts in a granite warehouse, fitness attendant at the school gym. **Waiting to hear back for a job from a small practice running a COVID testing site, I would be helping with getting HPI from patients at the site. Maybe more responsibility

Immediate family members in healthcare? (Y/N): Yes- Father is a PA, mother is a nurse's aide.
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Dream of Anesthesiology or trauma, very open-minded
Interet in Primary Care: Open to the possibility
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N):No
Other: Period of inactivity during Fall 2019 due to my house burning down. Had to deal with several things related to this.

I'm thankful for any feedback!

Edits: format

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats and regional preference:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
Miami
USF Morsani