School List/WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lurker123456789

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA with a strong upward trend, MCAT of 512. Immigrated here when I was 10, economically disadvantaged, first generation college student, hispanic URM. Good story for my PS for why I want to be a doctor (has to do with the upward trend). One year volunteering in HIV clinic 3 hours a week. Two publications (both second author) and currently working on a first author publication (3 years in the lab) plus gave a talk at a regional conference, won an award for an abstract at a national conference and have multiple poster presentations. 150 hours volunteering in a hospital and about 60 hours of shadowing multiple specialties. Founded and was president of a club to help the homeless in my college community.

Edited: Added MCAT score, edited for clarity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which Hispanic ethnic group are you a member of? Are you fluent in Spanish? When are you taking the MCAT? Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which Hispanic ethnic group are you a member of? Are you fluent in Spanish? When are you taking the MCAT? Where is your state of residence?
South american, it's my native language, in the next month, Florida.

South Americans are not generally considered UiM. Language skills are very much appreciated, though.
The mean MCAT for successful FL applicants is the 89th percentile (about 512).
The mean gpa is 3.7.

Last edited by a moderator:
South Americans are not generally considered UiM. Language skills are very much appreciated, though.
The mean MCAT for successful FL applicants is the 89th percentile (about 509).
The mean gpa is 3.7.
Isn't 89th more like a 512?

The mean MCAT for successful FL applicants is the 89th percentile (about 509).
The mean gpa is 3.7.
Then why do all the AAMC stats say Hispanic, Latino or of Spanish origin?

Then why do all the AAMC stats say Hispanic, Latino or of Spanish origin?
That's just how they have chosen to capture this data.
It's also the reason that the "Hispanic" data is so hard to interpret.
It includes both UiM and non-UiM. Filipinos, many Europeans and South Americans can all reasonably say they are Hispanic.

That's just how they have chosen to capture this data.
It's also the reason that the "Hispanic" data is so hard to interpret.
It includes both UiM and non-UiM. Filipinos, many Europeans and South Americans can all reasonably say they are Hispanic.
That's interesting, I was under the impression the AAMC had gotten rid of distinctions between the historically underrepresented hispanic groups and other hispanic ethnic groups over a decade ago but I guess not.

That's interesting, I was under the impression the AAMC had gotten rid of distinctions between the historically underrepresented hispanic groups and other hispanic ethnic groups over a decade ago but I guess not.
Those which were historically considered URM are still generally recognized as UiM.
Additionally, each school gets to identify those communities they serve that are under-represented.

If your MCAT is 508 or higher you should be able to receive interviews at the Florida MD schools so apply to all of them and include the new Nova MD school if it opens for 2018. Post your MCAT score here in June when it is available and we can advise you as to which OOS schools you could apply to.

I got my MCAT score back so I am looking for suggestions on where else to apply. So far I definitely have:
UF
UCF
USF
Miami
FAU
FIU
Temple (I live in Philly and my fiancé goes to one of the Philly med schools)
Jefferson
Penn
Drexel
(Maybe PCOM)
Cooper at Rowan
GW
Georgetown

Should I add any of the NYC schools, other suggestions?