DrDriven07

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all. I am planning to be applying this upcoming June and would like some feedback on this very raw list of schools I am interested in applying to. I attempted to only add schools where they have at least 2+ people doing research that fits my interests (Alzheimer’s Disease). Additionally, I tried to add a mixture of very top schools and mid-tier schools. Lastly, I am really not sure how many schools I should apply to. Please let me know if I have too many schools and/or if I should add/remove a school or two. Thank you for your time, and I hope you all continue to stay safe.

1. GPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT: 515 (129/125/131/130)
  3. Race: African American (URM)
  4. Residence: Georgia
  5. School: State School
  6. Research Experience: Will have approximately 3k hours by the time I apply in June. 1 2nd-author publication in a mid-tier journal. 11 Conference presentations. Two Summer research programs: 1 at my state school, 1 at MIT (would have gone back this past summer if it weren’t for COVID). For majority of my research, it has been independent as my state school does not have PhDs nor Postdocs so undergraduates take large leadership roles. Will complete an Honor’s Research Thesis.
  7. Notable Awards: NSF STEM Scholarship and Goldwater Scholarship. ABRCMS Presentation Award.
  8. Extracurriculars: Will have been a TA for 7 semesters in a wide range of courses (General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry mainly). President/founder of a student organization. Work with school Administration to help improve STEM education to minority students in STEM majors.
  9. Clinical Experience/Shadowing: 250+ clinical volunteer hours. 25+ shadowing hours.
  10. Other notable Internships/awards: Stanford MSTP Internship. Mitchell Scholar Semi-Finalist.
  11. Should have amazing LOR.

School list:
  1. Stanford
  2. Harvard
  3. Cornell
  4. Yale
  5. NYU
  6. Mayo
  7. John Hopkins
  8. UCLA
  9. UCSD
  10. Columbia
  11. Icahn
  12. UCSF
  13. Miami
  14. Michigan
  15. Florida
  16. Emory
  17. OSU
  18. UNC
  19. UT Southwestern
  20. UT San Antonio
  21. Wisconsin
  22. UAB
  23. Tufts
  24. Maryland
  25. UMass
  26. Northwestern (free secondary)
  27. Pittsburgh
  28. Case Western
  29. Indiana
  30. Iowa

turtle114

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
You should be good to go, beware of secondary writing fatigue with this many schools. Consider cutting 5-10 (but if the $ is no object and you have time to write all day in July/Aug, go ahead.)

Reactions: 1 users
May 5, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I applied to a similar about of schools and I'd echo the statement about writing fatigue. I started as early as possible and tried to prioritize prompts that were shared between schools (diversity, challenge, etc). Its hard to comment in detail about your list but it doesn't look too top heavy, in my opinion. You may consider adding some 'safer' schools depending on your field of interest. I also read a quote on here a while ago that I think is relevant - 'for MD/PhD admissions every school is a reach', so just keep that in mind and don't take it for granted.

About the Ads

DrDriven07

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I applied to a similar about of schools and I'd echo the statement about writing fatigue. I started as early as possible and tried to prioritize prompts that were shared between schools (diversity, challenge, etc). Its hard to comment in detail about your list but it doesn't look too top heavy, in my opinion. You may consider adding some 'safer' schools depending on your field of interest. I also read a quote on here a while ago that I think is relevant - 'for MD/PhD admissions every school is a reach', so just keep that in mind and don't take it for granted.
Is there a source where I could find the common secondary essay prompts? It may be worth my time to atleast prep some ideas or drafts to increase my efficiency during my application cycle.

May 5, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You could just google the name of the school + 'secondaries' or 'mstp secondaries' or something similar and you'll get most of them. Some of them change year to year but you'll get a feel for what questions are common.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads