School location and Residency Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EternalShadow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have researched this topic but have yet to find a clear answer. It’s my dream to live in one of the big cities (like NYC or Chicago) and was wondering if the location of your residency is heavily related to your school location.

Would it be hard to get a residency in NYC if I went to Temple? What about Chicago? (Assuming I’m average in my class)

Does residency location also heavily related to job location? Say if I did a residency in TX, would it be hard to get a job in NYC?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked about this A LOT during my interviews so Ill tell you what I know. It has helped a lot of other people I talked to.

As far as school to residency: One school I interviewed at said very roughly about 80 percent of people end up taking a residency at which the did one of their clerkship rotations at (3/4th year). I was told that a residency would rather choose an applicant that they know well and worked with before than just choose someone with higher stats. But keep in mind your GPA will also influence your 3rd + 4th year locations. So, no it is not difficult at all to get a residency away from your school and most schools will encourage you to travel for atleast some clerkships because not everyone can have a residency around the school (obviously most states do not have a pod school but have residency programs and a need for pods).

Residency to Attending: I don't know much about this but I do know that many jobs as podiatrists usually come by word of mouth or the attending at your residency will recommend you to probably somewhere nearby where you are needed... But you can also leave and work wherever and it's not like it's hard to find a job as a doctor/pod. If you did well you'd probably get either choice.

I have researched this topic but have yet to find a clear answer. It’s my dream to live in one of the big cities (like NYC or Chicago) and was wondering if the location of your residency is heavily related to your school location.

Would it be hard to get a residency in NYC if I went to Temple? What about Chicago? (Assuming I’m average in my class)

Does residency location also heavily related to job location? Say if I did a residency in TX, would it be hard to get a job in NYC?

Thank you!
You can technically go anywhere for residency if they take the time to interview with you. However, if you would rather be on the East Coast (NYC/Boston/DC) then going to Temple or NYCPM has its advantages over other schools (connections and whatnot). If you see yourself in Chicago, then go to Scholl/DMU for similar reasons. Any school can get you where you want, but if you feel more comfortable working in a certain location then the schools within that area tend to do better than others outside that area (ex; Midwest vs East Coast).

You're going to be more favored as a candidate if you rotated through a clinic for your entire 3rd year+1 month of externship during your 4th year than someone who was there for a month in 4th year. Even if the other candidate is more favorable on paper, the evil you know is more favorable than the evil you don't. You may have your flaws, but they know them.
If they need further assurance, they're likely getting a recommendation from a didactic or clinical professor that they know, presumably trust, and perhaps work/have worked with- meaning they'll likely carry a positive recommendation from them with more weight than a formal letter from a professor/clinician they may know only by name, or not at all.