School of Dentistry vs College of Dentistry? any difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipab

to be a dentist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity......

I noticed some dental schools use the term "school" while some use the term "college" in their names. I checked on pre-dents, and only around less then 10 have the term "college" in their names.

Does anyone know why some dental schools choose one over the other?? Is it another DDS vs DMD where theres really no difference?

I did notice that most schools that use the term "college" give out DMD's, instead of DDS.

Examples:

School:
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- University of Los Angeles School of Dentistry
- University of Maryland School of Dentistry

College:
- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
- Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine
- NYU College of Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you brought this up, as you could have applied to the wrong places completely. First, you have to go to a school of dentistry. Then, you can then go to a college of dentistry, where you can get your doctorate. Much like how you go to high school before you go to college.

Members don't see this ad :)
The latest incarnation of DMD vs DDS.:beat:

Just out of curiousity......

I noticed some dental schools use the term "school" while some use the term "college" in their names. I checked on pre-dents, and only around less then 10 have the term "college" in their names.

Does anyone know why some dental schools choose one over the other?? Is it another DDS vs DMD where theres really no difference?

I did notice that most schools that use the term "college" give out DMD's, instead of DDS.

Examples:

School:
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- University of Los Angeles School of Dentistry
- University of Maryland School of Dentistry --> it's actually University of Maryland, Dental School (or Baltimore College of Dental Surgery)

College:
- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
- Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine
- NYU College of Dentistry

..since we're dealing with semantics

jb!:)

In Canada the don't use school or college.

Just Facutly.

ex. University of British Columbia Faculty of Dentistry.

To each their own I guess.

In Canada the don't use school or college.

Just Facutly.

ex. University of British Columbia Faculty of Dentistry.

To each their own I guess.

Same in Australia and New Zealand:

Ex: University of Sydney Faculty of Dentistry

Maybe it's a commonwealth thing..

:D

man composite
you just made his day even worst hahahaha

I can't believe this post...

I think it doesnt have any meaning at all

blahblah university vs university of blahblah

ex) tufts university vs university of pacific

Columbia used to be known as CU School of Dental and Oral Surgery. now, they changed the name to College of Dental Medicine since College obviously sounds more prestigious than School

Columbia used to be known as CU School of Dental and Oral Surgery. now, they changed the name to College of Dental Medicine since College obviously sounds more prestigious than School

I guess I asked the wrong crowd, haha :thumbdown:

I know there really isn't a difference, but I guess the reason I asked was if anyone knew why some schools are using "college" instead.

I was talking with a dentist, and while going over dental schools, and when I said "college of dental medicine", since only a select few have the "college" in their names, he thought it was some dental technical college.

Has anyone heard of the Fashion Institute of Technology? I mean, what sort of a school is THAT? Is it about fashion or technology??:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.