School of Medicine no longer has required pre-requisite courses

Jewels86

5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Both schools sound like great possibilities for me, especially Rush!! Please keep posting!! Although I'm working on my pre-med's, it's real tough to go to class after an overnight shift and a rotating schedule.

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
University of Pennsylvania is another school that doesn't have a list of prereq classes.

Encouraging as this sounds, however, it is important to remember that, while technically there are no required classes, it doesn't mean that adcoms don't expect you to take the typical premed classes or some version of them. In other words, the lack of specific requirements is to allow more flexibility in acceptable premed classes, not to relieve premeds from getting the knowledge and the laboratory experience in physics/g-chem/o-chem/biology. In the same vein, some schools (Cornell) may accept one's (substantial) laboratory research work in lieu of their laboratory requirements, but you have to have some decent laboratory experience before med school either way.

Reactions: didymus
Nov 3, 2013
Midwestern, US
It's important to keep in mind that we all still have to take the MCAT. I could see someone opting out of Orgo 2 and still doing well enough, but to think one will trick the system, get a degree in Elementary Education, and proceed to crush the MCAT having little to greatly-limited experience with, or exposure to, the content is a delusion.

I realize no one here has explicitly stated that they are not going to take the classes, but if anyone comes across this thread and gets that idea, you are in for a rude awakening.

Nov 3, 2013
Midwestern, US
Both schools sound like great possibilities for me, especially Rush!! Please keep posting!! Although I'm working on my pre-med's, it's real tough to go to class after an overnight shift and a rotating schedule.
You sound like a good candidate for online pre-reqs rather than a candidate for no-pre-reqs. Check out Oakland University in Rochester. They have all, or most, of the med school pre-reqs available online. I'm not certain how lab credits work, but it's worth a look.

futuredoc331

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
You sound like a good candidate for online pre-reqs rather than a candidate for no-pre-reqs. Check out Oakland University in Rochester. They have all, or most, of the med school pre-reqs available online. I'm not certain how lab credits work, but it's worth a look.
CCConline.org is a great place to go for all prereqs except orgo. It's even got Microbiology, pathophysiology, and a few other upper level bios.

CCConline is not a school. It stands for community colleges of colorado. It is a system that 14 schools have put together to pool their resources and allow people to take classes online. Students enroll at a "home school", which is the college they will receive their degree from.

The labs are conducted at home with kits. They are very similar and usually identical to a lab you would do at school.

Another option is UNE, which is an actual med school. They offer all prereqs online and have tailored them to the medical profession.

Jewels86

5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you didymus and Allen18328 for your much needed wisdom!! Yes, it's SUCH a struggle when I work 19-07 as an ED nurse and by the time I get back, it's 8 a.m. and I'm done for. An afternoon class and rotating shift (I'll be going to a matrix schedule) makes it so difficult. I looked into the Colorado one just minutes ago and it looks pretty straight forward and not as expensive as I thought. The UNE is also a great option!!

Keep the wisdom and posting coming!! I'm looking forward to an ADCOM looking past my GPA and look at my experience working with patients, especially since Family Med looks like it's my gig.

Mar 8, 2013
Thwarting Darwin
Status
Pre-Medical
Jewels86, I took Bio II, A&P I&II, Pathophysiology, and Abnormal Psych from CCCOnline. We were stationed overseas, so it was my only option. They were very good courses and well worth the money, I thought.

If you have a lower GPA, you might also look at the DO programs; in general, they are more holistic when looking at applicants' experience, work history, and academics.

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Speaking of taking online classes, check out your local CCs: chances are, they offer quite a few online classes -which may end up being much cheaper than CCCOnline if you're a resident of that county. Some CCs don't even indicate it in transcripts if a class is online.