heyhey20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey all!

I am currently debating between USC vs. Loma Linda University. I'm a little concerned about the fact that USC does not have a school of public health, but rather a MPH program through the Keck school of medicine. I do plan on continuing my education and pursuing a PHD. I've heard mixed reviews of whether or not it matters if you graduate from a SPH. Please let me know what you guys think, usc vs. loma linda?? SPH vs. accredited MPH Program.

thanks!!

Feb 23, 2010
Status
As far as it impacting your ability to go onto a PhD I don't feel that it will. I know multiple people who received an MPH from a program housed within something other than a SPH and went on to get a PhD or DrPH from different highly ranked schools. In fact, my advisor got her MPH from a program and got her PhD in Epi at Columbia. So I don't really think it's a huge deal.

Stories

Life Afficianado
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
As far as it impacting your ability to go onto a PhD I don't feel that it will. I know multiple people who received an MPH from a program housed within something other than a SPH and went on to get a PhD or DrPH from different highly ranked schools. In fact, my advisor got her MPH from a program and got her PhD in Epi at Columbia. So I don't really think it's a huge deal.
Spot on. The key thing is that you can develop whatever research skills and ideas that you need to succeed in a PhD at that school. If the USC program fits your needs, it shouldn't matter if it's a SPH or a program. However, because programs are smaller than SPHs, if you're unsure of what direction you want your research to head, it's generally a safer bet to go to a SPH because you'll have more opportunity and exposure to other interesting topics you might be interested in getting involved with.