School opinions: ATSU Arizona or AZCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etparle

MS-1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people:

I've been accepted to both schools. In your opinion, which one should I pick? For the ATSU-Arizona I picked the Brooklyn site (Cost $$). My problem with AZCOM is the increased class size, which lead to more difficult rotation sites...

Members don't see this ad.

They are pretty different. It seems like ATSU AZ gears you towards primary care. Three years spend in a community health center makes it seem like you would miss out on all the rotations that a traditional med school education offers. If you like that model, and are set on primary care it would be a good choice. AZCOM offers a solid education in the first two years. The rotations (due to that super-increase in class size) are as of yet an unknown. I know they posted all of their new locations, but until the first class hits them, still an unknown... They are both pretty different educations, it depends on which fits you better.

If you are dedicated to helping the underserved people, you should consider going to SOMA. However, if you want to have relatively flexible rotation sites in your third and fourth years, you should stick with AZCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advices Bioteach & Bonsante

AZCOM is going to provide a better, more rounded education.

I also think CCOM has a better reputation than ATSU-KCOM (these are their sister schools), despite the fact that ATSU was the birthplace of osteopathy.

Medical school education in the United States is pretty standardized from what I have heard, unless you go to CUBA. It has one of the best medical school education in the world, some say even better than the U.S. Yes, it's true. I say pick a school that you feel the most comfortable with in respect to the ambiance, the student body, the staff members, the location, your personal preference, etc.