School Orders and Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAbrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently completing my summer school orders and have a few questions. What do most HPSPers do during their school orders (I'm studying for boards)?
I was thinking about getting a part-time job, but was told that I could not moonlight. Has this been anyone else's experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend getting the upcoming academic schedule/reading materials and begin studying full time.

Do research. I talked with many of my classmates at graduation and they said they were told during interviews that their applications would have been strengthened by research on the CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently completing my summer school orders and have a few questions. What do most HPSPers do during their school orders (I'm studying for boards)?
I was thinking about getting a part-time job, but was told that I could not moonlight. Has this been anyone else's experience?

I would recommend you either devote your time to academic endeavors or try to find something non-medical to do with the military.

My first school orders were during out 3 week "summer" between first and second year, so I spent my time relaxing and working (already had a job, had been working throughout first year). My second school orders will be right around boards time, so I'll study, have a vacation, then attend some fun classes before rotations start.

I had 2 campus tours (already had officer training taken care of). One I used to study exclusively for Step I (much needed).

Between 1st and 2nd year, I tried to do research at Wilford Hall (did test out a new litter), but it was such a Charlie Foxtrot I wound up going back to my home institution and did something somewhat constructive with an AF surgeon working there. Unless you're at USUHS, I can't think of anything you could do with the military.

The research idea seems best. It adds to the voodoo point total the selection board assigns you; research is worth about as many points as your whole med school career (grades + boards). Find a relatively simple project with a good PI who will get a paper published. No better time than between 1st and 2nd year to start.

The other option is to do something cool/fun overseas. When I interviewed, I got asked more questions on (1) my limited military background and (2) the month I spent working on a vineyard in Italy than I ever did about surgical management, hobbies, etc.

Studying... it's very hard to anticipate what you need for second year until you do it. It won't make sense until put in a certain clinical context. And most first year material won't help either next year or for Step (except Physiology).

The research idea seems best. It adds to the voodoo point total the selection board assigns you; research is worth about as many points as your whole med school career (grades + boards). Find a relatively simple project with a good PI who will get a paper published. No better time than between 1st and 2nd year to start.

Follow up question: I'll be doing research as a work-study program with my med school this summer before my first year. I'm sure it'll get published, although I have no idea when. Also, I'm not sure I'd even be listed anywhere. Will the research itself still get me some points with the selection board or do I need to get published?

Follow up question: I'll be doing research as a work-study program with my med school this summer before my first year. I'm sure it'll get published, although I have no idea when. Also, I'm not sure I'd even be listed anywhere. Will the research itself still get me some points with the selection board or do I need to get published?

As a rule. Research is good, publishing is better, but you will still be recognized for it.

I'm doing research between 1st and 2nd year. Hadn't planned to do it, but a job opening came up today and I took it. I had planned on studying and finally maybe actually learning biochem. I've already had six weeks of 2nd year, and it would be incredibally difficult otherwise to know what to study.

When I wasn't going to do research, here's what I was going to study/review. Physiology, cause it's important, and it helps with pathophys. Learn biochem. Read big Robbins. If there is one thing you can do to help yourself for second year, read big Robbins so it isn't the first time you've seen it is when you go to pathology. There is no substitute for reading big Robbins at least one. Then maybe baby Robbins to review, but you gotta have the big one.

Has anyone moonlighted during his/her payback? I remember reading a post a few years ago about someone moonlighting in Japan during Navy payback.