school pre-req course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im applying to UHS-COM and while reading over it I found that they have a pre-req of taking biochemistry and genetics prior to entering. I am fullfilling the biochem prereq now. I had no plans of taking genetics, or any other courses anymore being a post-bacc student.

I was planning on TA'ing a course and studying my butt off for the MCAT. Im afraid that I will repeat what happened this past summer when I took anatomy and physiology and studied for the mcat. I felt more pressure to study and do well in the class because it was only one.

I would take the class if I knew I was going, but I dont want to be a in class I dont want to take and not even get an interview at the school.

I looked at the past summer school schedule and they offered a genetics course for nonscience majors. Something I doubt that would fill the requirement.

What do I do ?

Members don't see this ad.

Call UHS and ask them about the genetics requirement. Tell them about what you studied in the intro biology course and see what they say? What've you got to lose?

WannabeDO

I would want to take the genetics course because it will really help you study for the MCAT. A significant portion of what I saw on the MCAT in the bio section was covered in my intro genetics course so I wouldn't look at it as a burden but rather a chance to double up on studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying this year, or for fall 2004?

As far as I understand, finishing all prereqs aren't required in order to be accepted just as long as you have them completed before you matriculate. So, I wouldn't worry about taking it now if you don't want to, unless you're applying for fall 2003. But, like maysqrd said, taking genetics will most likely help you on the MCAT.

Im applying right now for fall 2003. Thats how Im trying to justify taking the course right now, is that it will help me on the mcat, retaking it in April, since they are putting more dna/genetics on the bio section and less orgo I believe.

I was kinda getting my hopes up that I would finally be out of college (this is my 7th straight year, 3rd as post bacc).